1. Roxy

Roxy New Member

Character transposition

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Roxy, Mar 25, 2015.

I've just written a whole scene and had to admit that I have put the wrong character in it. I just couldn't find a way for her to express who she is, she kept coming across as one of the other characters. That's normal, right? Make me feel normal, fellow writers.
    Roxy

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly, but that is certainly normal for me! :)

3. Roxy

Roxy New Member

I have three main protagonists and a major character that they are helping (also the major character is helping them). One of the protagonists was on the sidelines of a discussion between the major character and someone else. As it is early on and I am still building their characters I couldn't let her be herself as she would have wrecked the discussion. I took her out and put in one of the other protagonists and it all made much more sense. I know that her wrecking the discussion would have been interesting, but this was about the major character's situation. I don't know if that makes any sense, just good to waffle to other people that might know what I mean.

4. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

That makes sense and I've had this happen too. Most recently, I developed a new character and something felt off through the whole scene - it took me ages to work out the issue was the character's gender ... (Once He became She it all made sense!)
    All part of the fun/headache of the process ;)

5. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

I've done the same. Sometime a certain reaction seems better and some people are better at making scenes work.