1. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

Novel Chapters length

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by FictionAddict, Feb 11, 2011.

How long are your chapters?

My first draft has chapters that goes from 20 to 35 pages in Times New Roman 12, space between lines at 2,0. Is that good length?

Thank you all for the help, always.

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

10-12 pages 3,000 to 7,000 words.
    It doesn't matter about the length. All that matters is that used those words to tell the story. ^^

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

In my current work I have chapters ranging from 900 words to 7000 words (may break that one), a chapter is as long as a chapter is but I find 3-5000 words is about where I like them when reading.

4. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Yeah, I don't think chapter length is very important. Good transition between paragraphs is probably more important.

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

To the OP - how many words is that?

I tend to prefer chapters that don't go on too long. Too short is annoying too.
    Happy medium is best. :)

6. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Too short is probably better than too long though. I think the mind likes variety on many levels, and maybe chapter length falls subliminally into that category.

7. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

In one of the chapters that has 20 pages, the number of words is at 5477 until now. I haven't editted it yet.

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

You know, I don't think I check the length of my chapters ever :p I know my scenes range on average, between 1-3 thousand words, with extremes of under 100 words to over 5,000 if something dramatic is going on... I use, usually, one or two scenes if one of them is long, between chapter breaks, and sometimes 5-10 scenes if there are a lot of little under 1000 word scenes in a sequence. I just go with when it feels natural.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

individual chapter length or having them all the same size isn't important, as long as they don't get too long... what goes into the chapter is what matters...

10. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

L. Ron Hubbard would disagree with you. lol.

11. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

2,000 - 7,000 words.

It rarely remains consistent throughout. I might try and shorten some chapters in the rewrite but I won't lengthen any unless there's content worth adding.

12. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Mine typically average about 5K now with some being shorter and some longer. I've had a few go past 10K and some below 3K.

13. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I have one or two chapters that only consist of around 300 words.

14. Edward G

Edward G Banned

The trend in modern fiction is to go with shorter chapters, James Patterson being the most dramatic example. But chapter length is pretty much determined by plot points or changes in setting, or the beginning and ending of a scene. In modern fiction, the trend seems to be toward lots of shorter scenes. We have shorter attention spans these days, I think.

But then the Gospels are made up of very short chapters, so maybe there's something good about short chapters.

I read a lot of novels now that I am reviewing them, and I prefer a chapter around 2000-2500 words in length. But to each his own, I suppose.

15. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

But, have you ever read a book and said to yourself, "That chapter was way too short." I can't honestly say that I've ever thought that.

16. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I think that the most important thing when it comes to chapters, is that each chapter feels like a meaningful chunk of story. As long as that is delivered, and the chapter length fits the audience you aim for (a easy read book, or a book for children or young adults might prefer shorter chapters) I think the chapter length can vary greatly without anyone noticing.

17. mammamaia

from the grave?!

18. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

I was just using a roundabout way of saying I don't like L. Ron Hubbard's writing. I should have just quoted "what goes into the chapter is what matters."

19. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Will vary depending on what you are trying to achieve, be it one page or fifty.

20. mammamaia

i knew you were kidding, gy... was just joshing you back... fyi, i can't stand his stuff, either... and james patterson's 1-2 page chapters are annoying as bleep... plus waste a lot of paper and are a cheesy way to plump up his too-short mss... with regular sized chapters, his novels would be novelettes!

21. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Oh, ok, ha ha. I've looked at James Patterson books but never got interested enough to read one.

22. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I have a 5 page chapter, is this too short? I dont want to bother with a word count, so give me your opinion please!

Also my prologue is 2 pages.
    Too long or too short?

23. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The basic answer to this is that chapters should be as long or as short as they need to be. There's no prescribed length for them, I've seen chapters that have been fifty pages, and I've seen chapters that have been a couple of words. It's less about the length, but more about where the chapter breaks fall. If you read and write enough then you'll get a feel for chapters being enclosed scenes and ideas, and get a natural sense for where such break should fall in your story- more an organic process than a box ticking exercise.

And in response to your "don't want to bother with the word count" statement, I think I should explain why word count is used in writing. Your measurements (5 pages and 2 pages) mean absolutely nothing to me. I don't know how big a page you're using, what font size, what font, how big the margins are. Or even if you've handwritten it. Word count gives a measurement not dependent on these factors, and thus which can be assessed more easily when asking questions like this one.

24. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

well know anywhere that I can copy/paste it all onto for it to count for me?

25. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Does your word processor not include a word count? What word processor are you using?