Character art

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by I Am Vague, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Star wars. (Are you joking?)

2. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Do I sense a penis joke? I would have went with "the wrong sword is showing" lol.

Well, yeah, he did wear a shirt at times. The armor is actually new to him at this point, but well for muscles. Lets put it this way, he can swing his claymore around his one hand, and he is seven feet tall! He can lift a car with one hand. So, yeah, he has some muscles.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. GuardianWynn

Actually I am not joking. So palpatine is star wars. So what was star trek again? I hadn't seen either. Was star trek the one with the planet buster or something.

4. Oscar Leigh

Damn, your line was way funnier!

AdDIct and GuardianWynn like this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

Star trek is the one with the weird looking silver space ship and it follow it's crew. It started a television series. It's the one with frequent teleporting (beam me up Scotty?) and the Vulcans. It's also more got a slightly more cultish fanbase, only slightly though.

6. GuardianWynn

Ah, I have no clue. Never seen it. lol.

Back to art. I actually only have 4 guys drawn. If I were to have guessed which one looks the best. I would say this one.

http://andromon1217.deviantart.com/art/William-Tarvoss-Color-544116427

He is a wickedly talented character. Granted he doesn't look his best here. His family is trying to kill him. So, he could use a fresh change of clothing and a shower. But he cleans up good. lol

7. Oscar Leigh

Nice. I think Carl is more my type, maybe, but still good. And the art is good.

8. GuardianWynn

:D and if you recognized his name, he is Jackie's brother. Yes. Jackie was officially ordered by their father to kill William. Family, right?

On a side note of writing. I just posted a second story of Sky, if you were curious. lol

9. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I love seeing everyones character art. It's so interesting to see the variety of characters people come up with! :)

Here's my two favorites of mine -again it's the sims but I've painted over them a bit and made them look hopefully a litte bit less like a game screenshot! I was going to draw them but I thought that was a step too far! haha.

AA4.jpg AA5.jpg

10. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Actually my favorite novelist of all time is Jim Butcher (The Dresden Files). I wasn't saying I don't like fantasy, I was just saying that my characters don't live in one and that it wouldn't be easy for them to get into your characters' world to meet them ;)

What is the suit for?

Seraph751 likes this.
  11. GuardianWynn

Victoria 1.jpg
    @BoddaGetta
    Guess who this is! :D lol
    I am not sure if I like the pants. I think they look too almost purple, but not bad art all the same, right?

12. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

I could never seem to get hands or folds in clothes where it appears to give depth. I can kind of get faces, but it's very primitive and not at all skillful by any means. But practice practice practice, it'll make you better.

Seraph751 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  13. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

Side note, but I'll take this up a notch.

I've played video games and made my player to look like several characters from some stories. Grand Theft Auto and Fallout 4 were my biggest ones, where I made a female character to look like someone specifically. Some character creators are really really complex too, so I'll spend hours making them perfect; just how I imagine them. It's surreal to play and live as your created character and find yourself acting and making choices in the game that they themselves would make.

14. Sileas

Sileas Member

Hands I have not yet started. Clothing folds...what're those? (just kidding). Haven't gotten there yet. Still dumb myself on that.

15. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I had commissioned this a while ago and still have it as the background on my phone. (My MC Nina Constantinos is in the middle, the top is her best friend and co-protagonist Vinya Jain, and the bottom is T.A. Ballantyne - who is the planned co-protagonist of a later book).
    [​IMG]

16. Witchymama

Witchymama Active Member

Me too. I can see it in my head, but it ends up looking like whodunit. I will admit to more than passing envy for all you artists.

Oscar Leigh and I Am Vague like this.
  17. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Nice! I actually like the clothing. I can't decide on the appearance of my FMC of my current story for the moment. I always change my mind

GuardianWynn likes this.
  18. GuardianWynn

FMC??

19. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

Female
    Main
    Character

I have 2 main characters in the story I'm currently working on, it swaps between their point of view when they are in separate places. One is male, one female. I decided on his appearance in a heartbeat [Him being half Korean made it easy I guess], but she is giving me a rough time, because it's more of her attitude that draws attention than her appearance.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  20. GuardianWynn

Yeah, that is why I like getting art. Either the art feels like them or it doesn't. Like with Valorie, I bounced around her having long hair or short hair. Now that I have a picture of her, the short hair was locked in.

Valorie 1.jpg
    Okay, perhaps medium is a better word?

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I would love to be able to draw. Sadly, this is not one of my talents. Like, at all. :confuzled:

I do picture my characters. I "see" them in my head. I know what they look like. Sometimes I trawl the internet for images of people that might resemble my characters, but that's the best I can do. :bigconfused:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Sileas

Sileas Member

Ooooohhhh no. Nope, I've never been guilty of that... nope. Not at all. Never occurred to me. Have no idea. *cough* /exits before straight face fails

http://droolyjoolee.deviantart.com/art/I-love-dragons-587407598

THIS one.... this one be disturbingly close. Hide color, the eyes....thick, heavy skull designed for chomping as opposed to the thin, delicate flame-thrower dragon type..... Even the size suggestion (though I suspect this one's a bit too large.)

Edit---I should add, this is NOT my work. Heck no.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  23. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

I'm gonna ask something else completely unrelated to the thread topic, but is it unusual for guys to write in a female perspective? The one current work I"m doing has a main character named June as a female, and I don't think my input as a guy would really matter, because all in all she is just a person, and I don't think that gender should quite limit you. I feel more comfortable writing men, yeah, but it's just the way this story has gone. Men and women are equal, but you can't ignore the fact that they're different.

But more on topic... I feel my characters constantly go through change. I guess that means that their appearance is never a constant thing. Some have outright changed their appearances, but others have gone through change. Some have undergone injuries. some just neglect hygiene, others choose an appearance that may suit them or are forced to have a specific trend of appearance. I feel like I'm less of a writer in a sense that they all go their own different ways and govern their own actions. It's cool.

Oddly enough, I've actually looked through my girlfriend's Pinterest account and she actually pins people that she feels resemble characters in what I write. It's very supportive, but gives me an outside look on who she thinks they are. Also really cool.

Seraph751 likes this.
  24. Oscar Leigh

You don't need to be a woman to write women. All male writers write women characters, and many write main protagonist ones at one point or another. Same other way round.

Seraph751 and AdDIct like this.
  25. GuardianWynn

I had a whole topic on this labeled "A needed girls perspective" I would link but on my phone.

For one obviously most writers write characters outside there own gender. The issue at hand I think is can you sympathize with the concepts of things you don't know? Well enough to represent something you don't know?

Short answer. Yes.

Long answer. That is ALL WE DO AS WRITERS! Think about any fantasy writer that describes what magic feels like. Magic, doesn't exist. So they don't know what it would actually feel like. Yet they manage. Granted there are genders, so I suppose you could fail. It is possible, but you aren't out of luck. You can learn or be a natural.

I happen to think I write girls better in spite of being a guy.

Seraph751, I Am Vague and Oscar Leigh like this.