1. El902

El902 New Member

Character Clinics

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by El902, Nov 29, 2008.

Yes, it is I The Newb suggesting things for your forum. Please forgive me if it's jumping the gun, but I am quite smart ;)

Anyhow, onward to the suggestion. On another forum (Mugglenet Fanfiction Beta Boards) there is a Character Clinic for Original Characters (tis a HP FF site). There the members post a short description of their character from the character's POV and in response to the descriptions, other members post questions for the character to answer. We use the character's POV because it allows the author to "get in their heads" and also, because while you're doing this you're forming dialog consistencies, personality, and all around you're forming your character.

Each author creates a new thread for their individual character, allowing maximum feedback from other members. These responses are very much like Character Formats (dozens of questions) but the questions are those that are unique to the character being questioned. For example, if Peyton Bowman were to state that she was abused as a child, other members could ask questions that were directly related to this trauma, and further divulge characteristics pertaining to this part of her history.

It is an immense help when fleshing out new characters, whether they're MCs or just supporting roles. However, the subforum over there does tend to get clogged with dozens of characters, which usually results with minimal feedback. That could be solved with the same rule you have for reviewing (you have to question a character to post a character) or another form of Modly Modness your Modlienesses could come up with.

So there's my suggestion :)

El

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could create a thread for your character under Writing Issues -> Character Development. We could try it out there. If it's popular enough to need a separate subforum, we could possibly create one. But for now, let's just see how it works with individual threads.

We already have various character development exercises there. Some work better than others.

3. El902

El902 New Member

Will do :)

Thanks,
    El