1. MisterOz_GatorLover

MisterOz_GatorLover New Member

Is it possible to create narcissistic villains and have them be multi-dimensional?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by MisterOz_GatorLover, May 4, 2011.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

The narcissistic villains in my story like to stalk girls from other schools and attack my main character, Jimmy, for a yet-to-be-decided reason. As usual with narcissists, when people displease them, they go to blackmail and force them to keep interacting with the narcissists. Their craftiness is with computers and hiding their involvement in their malicious deeds. If it means pinning their misdeeds on others over facebook, so be it. But can one create multi-dimensional narcissistic characters like these?

2. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Of course you can! As it turns out, my work in psychology and sociology may be able to help you with this matter.

Having a narcissistic villain already paints his presentation in a certain light to the reader. But, what if you threw a curve ball or two? Maybe he's actually very insecure about himself and uses his ego to hide his flaws. The good thing about people with intense egos such as narcissism is that there is plenty of things to available to compliment it.

Also, your villain should always have an established reason for attacking the MC. Even if its just to attack them for the sake of attacking them. Possibly to save face, or maybe even boost his own ego and achieve a greater level of self confidence. Say the villain just pointed at random at the first boy he saw and decided to use him as a scapegoat for his goals. This way readers will see your villain in many lights. The narcissistic jerk, the insecure child, and the aloof planner.

There you go, three dimensions on the house.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jigen

Jigen New Member

Real life is filled with narcissistic individuals and none of them are two dimensional. Try to get inside their heads, decide what motivates them.

When I think of a narcissistic person I just imagine a normal person except they always put themselves first.

It seems to me that you're writing more of a sociopath. Maybe they don't feel they get what they 'deserve'? Maybe they think they're smarter/more attractive than everyone else (maybe they are)? They're probably influenced by negative things in their past and view your main character as having something they don't.