1. Scott Berman

Scott Berman New Member

Political Fiction

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Scott Berman, May 30, 2012.

I definitely know that I want to write some political fiction one day. I have a degree in political science, and I'm an insane anarcho-capitalist, so I love discussing politics. I don't want to read/write any manifesto's or books of theory, I've already read plenty of those, I want fiction.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good political fiction books out there.

The books that I've already read or own and plan on reading are;
    1984 - George Orwell
    Animal Farm - George Orwell
    A Brave New World _Aldous Huxley
    Utopia - Sir Thomas More
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
    Anthem - Ayn Rand
    The Republic - Plato (Don't know if I would consider that fiction so much as just theory)

I've heard sci-fi anarcho-capitalist/libertarian fiction is popular, but are they actually good books? What else is there? I'd love to hear some recommendations.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is a good one. It's similar to Brave New World.

3. lex

lex Member

I strongly prefer Ira Levin's "This Perfect Day" to either of those far better-known books. I think it's better written, too - and far more inventive and imaginative. It deserves to be taken far more seriously than it ever has been, I think. Remarkably, it seems to be the only one of his books which hasn't had a movie made - which is a great shame, because it's so good that even a "gifted director" couldn't do too much damage to it.

The British former parliamentarian Michael Dobbs has written some. His most well known ones are the "House Of Cards" trilogy (lightweight comedy), but some of his others, including "Goodfellowe MP" are rather better.

Well, they do say that nobody's perfect ... [​IMG]