Character Driven, Plot Driven - excuse for bad writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jonias, Jan 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I wonder whether we mean the same thing by plot/character driven? I realise that "plot driven" can be used as a pejorative for fiction with poor characterisation, but that's not how I use it. I'm more used to the term "action driven", by the way, because in a moment I'll get tangled up if I stay with "plot driven". As I understand it the question is not whether there is good characterisation or good action, the question is which is the driver for the story. Do the things happen (mainly) because of the interaction of the characters or (mainly) because of a situation that needs resolving. Is the story of HP the story of how the protagonists learn to work together, with defeating Voldemort simply a catalyst to reveal their personal development, or is it the story of how they defeated Voldemort, with any personality development (is there any in HP?) or clashes merely complications or side-effects of the push to defeat Voldemort?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

It could be taken that Harry Potter is the story of an exceptional young man. The most basic ancient magic available to humans the love of a mother saved his life, in doing so 'killing/removing' the main antagonist of the story Voldemort. That young man goes on to be courageous, and often a better person than his parents, spurred on by their memory. He is supported in that by his closest friends and allies and a group of adults who guide him sometimes wisely, sometimes not.

For me when I write my plots develop my characters and my characters tell the plot.

3. Jonias

Jonias Member

Bingo.:)

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

although I cheated with my first book lol The character was the story it was about what happened to him and how he went from smelly, scruffy prince to king. It involved plot like reducing corruption in the kingdom, assasination attempts, he had to execute a general personally, his girlfriend bullying him into marrying her. All of it though was about showing how this young man could actually do the job. Whilst emphasising him being a teen with body issues, spots and exams to worry about.

5. Cornys

Cornys New Member

A plot typically should alter the way that your character feels and acts, and a character should act upon the plot as well and cause it to go in the direction that it does. I'm not sure which part is more important to be honest with you.