Tags:
  1. PenTrotter

PenTrotter New Member

Character expeirencing insanity?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by PenTrotter, Feb 8, 2013.

In my story im writing, the main character is 'insane' and much of the storyline and plot are fueled by his schizophrenic experiences. Is there anywhere I can find descriptions of visions and halluciantions by real schizophrenics, or cases/accounts of them? (besides wikipedia)

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

First, the character is someone with schizophrenia, not "insane". Second, don't use Wiki for anything other than leads to real sources. There are many psychology/psychiatric sites online where, if you're honest with the admin, you can ask questions of members. I would also check with the local mental health groups in your area, such as NAAMI.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey through Madness by Elin Saks is a memoir written by a woman with schizophrenia, who is also a professor of psychology and of law. I have not yet read it, but want to, and I suspect it would be helpful to you.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

google creatively and you will find more sources than you need... you can also find books about the subject with an amazon search...