Character Flat; Needs Helium

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Frostcat, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

Certainly.

When I write it's like I'm an actor in a film asked to play every part. That makes the writing a fun challenge and something "active" because it's happening at a fast pace in my mind, but it seems real as I get lost in it.

2. Frostcat

Frostcat New Member

The-Joker

Part of why I don't just push the character through is that much of the story is about his past and his actions and reactions. As such, I feel that I need to know the character before I can write him.

Allegro

My greatest complaint when it comes to the speed of writing is that I still expect it to be a 1:1 write:read ratio. If it took ten hours to write, why doesn't it take ten hours to read. D=

3. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

That's the case with so many things.

I love to cook and it can take hours and hours to make something simple like bread, but people will consume it in seconds and not even pause to consider it that much.

It's really annoying to think about how long it takes to write versus what you might get paid IF you get published. The first novel I completed took a year and yet, thus far, I have made nothing. On my site, I'm publishing an equally long novel for free.

That's the way it goes in the arts.