1. jazzman

jazzman Member

character names - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jazzman, Nov 25, 2014.

Hey :) I've come up with two character names that sound good to me but just needed some other thoughts on them. First of all, the sound and rhythm of the name. And secondly, what traits does the name reflect in you personally. I'm in the process of fleshing out the character, so any thoughts are welcome.

Jack Donovan -
    A detective from Glasgow that after an accident is transferred to the highlands of Scotland or one of the many Isles, a matter of out of sight out of mind. He is bad tempered and bad mannered. A character the skirts the edges of both oblivion and legality.

The other is:

Cooper Flint -
    A detective from West Yorkshire. I really like the surname cause its a popular surname in the area, so any other first names that you think might go, please chuck them out. I haven't really fleshed him out yet, so what kind of character and traits do you think the name reflects.

Thankyou in advance everyone for all your thoughts.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Didn't you just ask this question a few days or a week ago?

As long as the names are explainable/not bizarre given your setting and the character's lineage, just about any name will be fine. Just like with real people, your character will grow into his or her name.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Donovan sounds more Irish than Scottish to me, Jack sounds "tough" enough...but does the police force work like that? Would they really transfer him to the wilds, or did he apply for the transfer?

Cooper Flint; I'll accept that Flint may be common to the area (although it sounds to me as if you're trying to give a hard man a hard name), but Cooper sounds like a made-up Hollywood name. And, in fact, Jack Flint sounds MUCH better to me!

As far as Yorkshire detective is concerned, the name Flint suggests hardness...perhaps you have it in mind to make him a real sweety?...that would be a contrast to your rough diamond from Glasgow.

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Flint is a comedy name for an agent. Fairly widespread in usage, please remember your Warlord @ DC Thompson.

Jack-Jock-John...Jock is the Scottish Jack-John? Not just the dreadful, appalling jock moniker applied worldwide to ginger jimmies, haw haw.

A.R Pig

5. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Personally, I tend to envisage the character as best I can first and then a suitable name starts to assert itself as the character grows in depth. In the event that I start writing the character and a name escapes me, I just use a placeholder until I'm sure I've picked the right one. There have been times when it's taken a while, and I have even renamed the odd character as the personality has outgrown it. Nothing needs to be set in stone to start with. Dwelling on stuff like this is often procrastination disguised as something else. Get the words down and then worry about it. :D

6. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

Donovan is Irish, well gaelic i guess but definitely more Irish than scot. The J.D. combination never works for me, one of those "cool" combinations.

Cooper is traditionally a surname in England, comes from barrel makers i think. Doesnt work for me as a first name im afraid. Sorry to be down on your names but i'm not sure any of them work. Jack flint like @Shadowfax said sounds much better.

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

[​IMG]

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I like this answer. Your character grows into the name, and these sound fine.