Tags:
  1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Name for a character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kratos, Apr 29, 2008.

Well, in my sig, there's a link to my story so far.
    There's a mysterious, spirit-like character who is tall, has dark hair, and long limbs. He's sarcastic and rude.
    Right now, I don't have a name for him. I was going to go with Shade, but my main character's last name is Slade, and those names are too similar, (although I could always change my main character's name...)
    Are there any good names for a character like that? I've looked at naming websites and all that, but nothing seems to fit him.

Thanks in advance!

2. Michael Davis

Michael Davis New Member

Remember that readers are not as familiar with the characters as the author. anything you can do to minimize confusion is good. I've actually used names very close for different characters, gone back several weeks later to revise the MS, and gotten confused myself. It's so easy to avoid potential confusion, just pick a new name.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Garth sounds cool to me.

4. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

Ka'el, Kirus, Asher. those are some cool names.

5. jynxi000

jynxi000 New Member

I've always liked the name Avery, I think it works well for sarcastic characters. But when I think of a spirit-oriented character I think something weirder like Kreth, or Trapis. Hope that helps :)

6. smeeks

smeeks New Member

my personal favorite, when naming, is to give them something with meaning--some depth. F. Scott Fitzgerald was pretty good at that. Do a little research and maybe something will jump at you.

7. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

You could give him a quirky or perhaps even ordinary name, such as Harry, Ryan, or..Bob? I don't know that was just my thought hehe.

8. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    Perhaps you could make up a name that fits him? It would make sense for a spirit-type creature to have a different language to name himself it, and it also avoids making it sound like you're trying to hard to made him darker and edgier with a dark and edgy name.

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I just wanted to let you know that I am reading this, and I'm choosing between a few names. Thanks for your advice.