1. Avrilkiller

Avrilkiller New Member

Any thoughts at all

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Avrilkiller, Dec 24, 2006.

I've begun the very beginning processes for a new book (storyline, ideas, outline)....this is where I have always soured in the past, I have a tendency to write just by starting to write without forethought, and thus I run out of ideas and lose steam a couple chapters in :redface:

I find I'm a good writer, but not so good with thinking of stories and long-plot creativity, so I'm considering collaborating with someone on this.

Anyhow, here's a very small sample of an important scene, without giving up too much of the plot. Any thoughts at all would be appreciated, whether encouraging or not, criticism or kudos.

"America", said Tuner.
    Had the dog actually opened his mouth and spoken his answer, the man's reaction would have been infinitely more comical and resulted in burns from an overturned pot of water. However, Tuner's response was not an audible one, at least not to anyone who might have been within earshot. It was heard only by Emitt, and not through his ears. This is why instead of an uproar in the small kitchen, there was only a stiffening in the man's nerves and a slow, unertain remark in reply.
    "You are from America."

I call him the man because I haven't yet decided for certain on a name....he is elderly, but still quite active and quick thinking. Any suggestions would be welcome, if you have them.
    I also know that one of them will be a more intellectual type, and the other more simple-life/casual speaking, though I haven't decided who will be which. I'm leaning towards the dog as the intellect, though.

**edit** I have chosen a name....I believe I shall call this man Emmit. I might change my mind, but I did a lot of hunting and I really like it. Yet I'll still often refer to him as the man, because that's how Tuner (the dog) sees him, and though it's not written through his perspective, it's their relationship the story focuses on.

Ideas?

2. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

First of all it's a damn good idea that you edited and actually chose a specific point of view (that not being the dog's is probably a good idea aswell at the moment).

There's a popular saying in my family (although I'm not sure if it is entirely original) and that is, "You can't take out of the cookie jar unless you have first put into it."

I'm currently writing a book which I have only just begun writing. It comes in the wake of one and a half years of continuous note taking and creative thinking.
    So it is wise to create before you write, otherwise you will experience running out of steam as you have mentioned. A lot of time writer's block is attributed to a simple lack of creative, workable ideas.

Writing only really happens when you're staring at the wall or into outer space.
    What you do when you put pen to paper or fingertips to keyboard is simply transfering the story from your head to hardcopy.

I can't remember who originally made that analogy, but it's a bloody good one! :cool:

So even though you say you are not good at thinking of stories or long plot creativity you will in fact find these to happen because they are a part of the initial ingredient of story: the idea.
    All complexity is rooted in simplicity.

If you can keep your initial work simple right from start to finish you can then begin the process of rewriting and then layering what you have created. Long plots don't come about because you're trying to force something. Don't do this as it will never happen. Keep it simple then build on it to something you find satisfactory that best conveys your story idea.

3. Avrilkiller

Avrilkiller New Member

Thanks a bunch for the great answer....I've been trying, I just seem to have a total creative block...maybe it IS because I'm trying to force it.
    Hmm ....