1. Black Ashes

Black Ashes New Member

Main Character Help

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Black Ashes, Nov 11, 2011.

The main character of my story is a sentient machine called Seraph, and I want help to develop his character.

Centuries into the future in a Sci-Fi setting. Humanity has been attacked by the Hazgon, a race of "sentient" machines, who are obviously beyond human technology. 15 years into the War, the Hazgon create the ultimate weapon against humanity, the Seraph model. Designed as the ultimate weapon of war, the Seraph would ultimately destroy humankind.

The prototype (the main character) was lost due to the destruction of it's transport vessel. Saved by a single Hazgon Data Capsule (an escape pod), the Prototype crash-landed on the ice world of Hydros. The Human Army investigates, finds the data capsule, brings it to a old listening outpost and by sheer luck, opens the capsule. When the Hazgon arrive to retrieve the Prototype, they attack the outpost.

The Seraph prototype goes into full-combat mode but one of its circuits blows before-hand. It instead attacks the Hazgon instead of the humans, much to everyone's surprise. After demonstrating many of it's abilities, the Seraph goes into sleep mode after expending what little energy it had left.

- - - - - - -

Scientists manage to bring on the Seraph back on the Army's space-cruiser after unknowingly "tweaking" (which they thought was investigating) with the Prototype's cerebral functions. The Seraph awakens fully-sentient, much to everyone's alarm, wondering who is his and what's going on.

"Seraph" only knows his name and the fact he's sentient. I don't know what happens then, but eventually earn the Hazgon's "trust". On board the ship, Seraph starts learning what is existence itself.

BUT THE QUESTION IS HOW WOULD A FULLY-GROWN MAN WHO JUST ENTERED THE WORLD RE-ACT? WHAT WOULD YOU ACT LIKE IF YOU JUST NOW WERE GIVEN SENTIENCE?

2. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

Given that a robot requires programming to work, you could rely a lot upon that to explain a lot of things that something natural would do by instinct which is good.
    Presumably Seraph can move, lash out violently etc.
    Presumably, you mean to give Seraph total sentience, so I imagine fear would be an initial reaction. With no way of fleeing, lashing out violently might be the first action.
    Seraph would probably need to be taught to talk, or at least communicate in some fashion.
    You'll need to decide how aware of his robotics Seraph is. If he's totally aware of the robotics then he can use them, otherwise, maybe a period of discovery will be required.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Probably the same way a baby would. I'd cry a lot and be confused.

4. Black Ashes

Black Ashes New Member

Almost all of his incredible abilities have been lock-downed because of his reboot. While Seraph knows he's sentient and know's he's a war bot, he doesn't know his true potential yet, what side to fight for, or just being more than a war bot.

5. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

Given Seraph's origin, and the fact that any effective independent weapon needs to adapt to where it finds itself, I'd suggest that the overriding desire would be learning everything it can, so assuming some basic communication skills are present, it would converse with its hosts/captors the humans. Over time, he would begin to ponder his existence and his purpose to a point where his original programming tries to come back on line. That could lead to an internal conflict in which Seraph's knowledge of the innate goodness of the humans he has met prevents him from killing them.

6. architectus

architectus Banned

You have a lot of opportunity during his discovery for comedy.

I just became sentient. Do I understand the objects I see? Do I even understand what seeing is? If not, I'd probably be in shock, just staring. I'd probably close my eyes. Open them. Repeat this process. I'd probably cover my ears, uncover them, etc. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. What these things are. Why they don't see when I cover them. Why things sound different when I cover my ears.

Sight and sound will be the first shock. After I get used to the fact I am seeing and hearing. I will want to touch something. Curiosity. I don't know what will happen. Then I see my own hand. This would be a shock. I would pause and ponder what I am seeing. I don't even know what a body is yet. This thing is moving because I will it to. What is it? It's my arm and hand, but do I even know those words?

Do I know any words in which to express myself?

I touch my hand, thereupon discovering touch. My hand feels smooth? I'm not sure what Saraph is made of. I'm going to assume some type of fake skin. I can feel some texture on my skin. This interests me. I get stuck on my own hand for a while before I remember that I wanted to touch that shiny object in front of me. I begin to touch things, tap on them. Listen tot he different sounds they make.

Sooner or later I discover my other senses.

Comedy opportunity when he reaches out to touch something for the first time, after his own hand and body. I would then touch my stomach, face, etc. I reach out and touch a woman's breasts. That can be a comedic part of the scene.