1. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Character, Scene, & Story Board Templates

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DvnMrtn, Feb 12, 2010.

Hey everyone I've just been putting together templates to print off that would serve as a graphic organizer for people constructing a story line. The purpose would be to ensure that all the important information is covered and to visually see how it is effecting your story. I think having everything laid out like this on the side would really help in the editing process for longer works.

I come to you asking you if I have forgotten anything major. What do you think?

Creating a Character:
    Name:

Description:
    Hair:
    Eyes:
    Height:
    Weight:
    Misc / Other:
    Key Character Traits:

What is the Principle Function of this Character? How do they drive the story forward / add to Conflict?

Motivation:
    What is the Goal of this Character?
    What is the Character's plan to achieve the goal?

Character Background (Family Background, Education, Habits, Vices, Personality, Etc.)

Creating a Scene
    Scene Name: (Optional)

How does this scene add to the story?
    - Introduction
    - Conflict
    - Character Development
    - Mystery
    - I know I'm forgetting some here

What is the central event of this scene?

How does this event affect the overall plot?

Who are the characters involved in this scene?

What is the setting of this scene?
    How does this setting add to character development, relationships, conflicts, etc?

When does it take place?

Why did you place the scene where you did?

What is the mood of this scene?
    Remember to write a sad gloomy day in a sad gloomy way, a fast exciting day in a fast exciting way, etc.

What are the different sides to the conflict involved here?
    Minimum two sides. Example: Protagonist V.S. Antagonist. What are the opposing goals, views, etc.
    -Side 1:
    -Side 2:

How does each side work towards their goals in this scene?
    -Side 1:
    -Side 2:

So what do you think? Am I missing anything major? I want to have these as handouts for students taking creative writing classes.

Pages will come out looking something like this (printed landscape)
    [​IMG]

PS. If anyone wants a copy of these I can email them to you, just PM me. They will be .Doc files

2. iolair

iolair Active Member

I tried to work like this in the past, and it wasn't me... it could be useful during the rewrite though.
    I think on a first draft it would cramp my flow way too much.

3. rory

rory Active Member

The first thing I thought when I saw it was, "reminds me of english class," so you must be on the right track! :D

I don't thing you are missing anything major, but I do thing they are perhaps to specific? I mean, if it's a creative writing class, make them write creatively. Instead of having them list features of their characters, require a descriptive paragraph, an exercise I remember doing in grade nine english. It may give them a chance to practice writing while exploring their new character without the rigid confines of listing height and weight. Just my opinion, though. I have no formal education in this area.

4. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

If something like this helps you develop a story, great. But for my I've found that spending too much time on those kinds of templates/worksheets keep me busy doing anything but actually writing the story.

5. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

I agree that a 'template', for me, would be inhibiting. At times I even find drafting a story in Word is inhibiting. I like spiral pads, old receipts, etc. I use an MP3 recorder or my cell phone occasionally. But things like character profiles I just keep in my head.

I know that there's some authoring software available, but I've never been interested in it. But that's me. I know that some people work better in a 'structured' environment....so, best of luck. I hope this method works out for you.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to me, all that kind of stuff takes the 'creative' factor out of 'creative writing'...

7. iolair

iolair Active Member

I think you summed it up nicely!