1. restore

restore New Member

The girl's mother??:(

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by restore, May 23, 2009.

I get a character and some themes of a young girl, this is an asian girl, (since I live in asia i think it better write her as asian too), she is in 20s now......she is hiding a secret which is her mother. only she knows that her mother was murdered. Her mother was murdered cuz of her, too. They both r beautiful women. But i dont know the clear character of the mother. She is hidden , but she is also un hidden. beause she is like a ghost always talked by people and appeared in people's life.

2. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg New Member

What?

3. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

I don't think you made your question clear- are you asking someone to help you create her or asking how to expand her?

4. architectus

architectus Banned

That's what I was asking. I would like to help, but I don't know what the question is.

I enjoy Asian ghost stories. It is a big part of their culture, and I think they tell them well.

5. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

If your having trouble with setting up the mother character so the reader knows of her, and then the other characters in the book think of her mainly through dialouge, perhaps you could set her up in a good prolouge, where the mother is still alive. You could describe her visually, get a little of her personality going, and then start your first chapter from her daughters perspective of her already murdered. That way she will be clearer to the reader, and you wont have to worry about her being to vague thru the rest of the story.
    Just an idea, and Im not sure thats what you were asking, but I wanted to try and help.

6. restore

restore New Member

Sorry that i wrote so briefly, yea, i had no clue about her character her looks, now i get moving on some about her, but need more oil with the daughter.....
    i want the daughter to find a job, she actually will get two jobs , one at day time one at night.....same time she often misses her mother, and sometimes have delusions. i dont know how to make her reach her first job, right now she is wondering in the street.......

R there any great books telling similar circumstances?

7. akania

akania New Member

dont know quite what to say....

8. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

It feels to me, your asking us to help you create the daughter, I would suggest trying to do writing exercises so that you can create her the way you want, fill out "profiles" about them, I believe the plot and character threads have some of those that could help you expand the mother and the daughter. as for the job, how do you want her to reach her job? sitting on a corner asking? mysteriously offered? she could just easily go in and apply, a friend could apply for her. she could be a crazy person who just starts working there. Ways of getting a job are endless be imaginative with it =D

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm having the same difficulty as the other responders. Even your clarification isn't really a well-defined question. Is your question about the mother or about the daughter? If it is about the daughter, what is the mother's role in the story?

Are you looking for ways to portray the mother's "presence" in the daughter's life, even though she is no longer alive? If that is your question, I believe that will be a challenge to do it without it seeming corny. I would probably make the mother "appear" in scenes, but only from the daughter's point of view. Her mother can speak to her, give her advice, even the occasional hug or hand through her hair (comfort gestures), but the daughter will not react to her mother in the presence of others; she knows her mother isn't physically there.

I hope this is helpful. But if I'm missing what your question is, you'll need to be clearer.

10. restore

restore New Member

Thanks....
    -----l will think to let the mother appear on scences and only on the daughter's view ,giving her advice and comfort.... later there will be a lot conflicts that i feel which will happen.......and it will be a lot pain to write them and i feel i can't handle the pain myself even.

I m a new writer btw, i used to be a singer here in a few cities, not really professional in writing and just read some good books and some movies. I have been in PTSD for long years getting recovery soon. Lots of the scenes are from nightmares but i feel hard to put them in words cuz of the pain from heart.

Also, the scenes keep changing , and I tend to write things so randomly.

11. Kester

Kester New Member

Honestly, if it puts you in pain to write them, reconsider what you're doing. If you're not enjoying the process of writing, you have no reason to do it.

For you I'd recommend very rigid planning - work out what needs to happen to make the story work, create a plan to follow, and stick to it like glue.