1. TigerEyes

TigerEyes New Member

"Vox" v "Thade"

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TigerEyes, Aug 29, 2006.

Ok, i'm writing a story [screenplay] set in the future, good ideas and the plot is rock solid. Here's the deal, my characters, as any great space adventure post star wars, seem very much like those of "Luke" and "Vadar". My character Lord Thade basically was a pollitician who after recieving a new draft of "The Patriot Act" begins to use his new extreme powers to evolve the human race into an "arian race". I use this quote because throughout the story he is strikingly similar to Hitler. This was done on purpose, because he evolved into "Darth Vadar Jr" so i dragged him even darker, being an orator, and being very powerful through his words. So, with his "arian race" of machines he overtakes humanity except a group of rebels. See, my Hilter style character just seems very Vadar to me, but i'm happy with him. The real character that i'm having problems with is the hero, Vox. Vox is my hero, the rebel, who lost his father to the hands of Thade. Now, my character just doesn't seem deep, rounded, well created. I have a great voice actor for the machinima film, and i was some dramatic things to happen. The basic plot is the hunt of Thade as he looks for Vox. So, i am looking for advice on things that can happen to Vox that can "define" his character, i've got a few events including spending time in "echo chambers" where re-living his darkest memories forces him to understand his father. Thats a great moment and scene, but i want things like that to really...top that if possible. I'd love feedback!

2. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Okay, bear with me because I start this out talking about politics and the Patriot act.

Have you ever read the patriot act?

There's all this contraversy on it, but there's nothing really that contraversial about it. It's an AI data mining computer that searches for conversations between known terrorists, a terrorist and you (which is very rare... besides if you're talking to a terrorist and don't know it, I'm sure you'd like to know about it... unless you're working with one... those are the only people that wouldn't) and it scans out of country calls comming to and from terrorists.

The thing you should actually be worrying about is ECHELON

I hope you clicked on the link and read it, because it might clear some things up for you.

Every time someone tries to have a political discussion with me on how the Patriot Act is evil, they describe ECHELON and it's a sure sign that they really don't know what they're talking about.

I think the LORD title is somewhat... meh. For the most part, we've evolved out of calling people lords, nobles and such.

George Lukas got away with it way back when, but he dissapointed many of his fans with his new movies because he went too far with much of the stuff he did... and he even admits that he's not a good writer.

So to try and emulate his writing style isn't quite what I'd try to do.

Thade is a good name, it's typical for Sci Fi... it's a common name and people tend to like it.

Vox on the other hand... Meh... it's venturing into a sci fi taboo.

So what are you asking again? It's not all too clear to me at this point, and I'd like to give you my feedback.

I like the idea of Thade, I don't like the patriot act thing because it's a misnomer. However, the relationship between the badguy and the goodguy is a little too typical.

3. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Things that shape heros are tragedies (the most obvious)

Another good character shaper is to give him a fatal flaw..something that he struggles with

What i usually do to develop my characters is write an entire character essay..in other words..write his biography..his life story..know where he came from, what his flaws are, what type of personality he has. I find that mapping out a character is of great benefit to story telling because in essence a well mapped character will end up writing the story for you!

4. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member