1. Yandos

Yandos Member

Charater Clinics:

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Yandos, Feb 15, 2011.

I am currently working on a sci-fi fantasy in which one of my charaters comes across as a plot prop.

I'm looking for a way to flesh him out a bit. I looked on another forum and they have this charater clinic in which you post the details of your character: i.e. name, descripion, history, and temprament. Then other members start asking questions and having conversations with your character, so that you can reply in their voice and get a better feel for them.

Is there anyway you can setup a sub-category in character development?

1 person likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, we do have the Character Development thing. Just put him there and explain what the problem is and we'll see what we can do.

There is also a topic in "Word Games" called What woul your MC do? where you respond to the previous poster's question in the voice of your MC, then ask your question.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That kind of interactive exercise belongs in Word Games.

Contrary to widespread belief, Word Games do not have to be friviolous ways to dispel boredom. This is a writing site - "games" can actually be creative ways to stretch your skills.

4. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

5. Yandos

Yandos Member

I've had a look and it seems the members are quite active with it.

It might be a good idea though to keep one charater per thead, especially if the 'owner' of the charater is awol overnight and get them to title there thread with "CC: Charater name & role" i.e. Fighter, lover, detective or military rank, so if anyone looks through them they can look for the type of inspiration they need.

I've had a look at the forum where I found this idea and copied the rules and 'how-to guide' they used. Maybe you can make a sticky for the others.

6. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I agree this is a really cool idea, but only a mod could create something like what you're talking about. I can start a thread, but I can't organize a multi-thread system. :)