1. Melissa Bailey

Melissa Bailey New Member

Check me out!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Melissa Bailey, Sep 14, 2014.

Hey there,
    I'm a writer from Brisbane, Australia. I enjoy creative writing, poetry, writing articles and editing work.
    I'll be joining in the competitions online, looking forward to reading some amazing work!

Melissa

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. bythegods

bythegods Banned

Ugh! You said a 'bad' word that I hate. We writers ought to know better yet we are continually committing these words crimes.

3. Melissa Bailey

Love to know what has offended you so, I was merely introducing myself

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. Here's our New Member Quick Start Guide to get you started. I'm sorry but I had to remove the links from your post as it's against our rules on advertising.

See you around!

-Kat

5. Melissa Bailey

Thanks Kat!

6. bythegods

bythegods Banned

Dear Melissa, welcome.
    Here, you find a list of words that I hate: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/do-not-use-these-words.134114/
    In my frequent and - unavoidable - interactions with Australians it rose to my attention that Australians are particularly offensive in their use of language. Put simply its their word choice that is bothersome. I just wish we would all think ten seconds before using any of these words on my list.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your mileage may vary. A heavy hand with a salt shaker can ruin a meal, but used sparingly, that same salt can be just what the dish needs.

While some of those words can make my teeth grind too, I don't agree with jumping on a new member for using one of those words in casual conversation. It's akin to nitpicking a new member's spelling or grammar in the intro thread.

8. Melissa Bailey

Cogito, thank you for your kind words. As a new member, I very quickly felt like I wasn't welcome and I should go elsewhere to enjoy what has become a passion of mine.
    Bythegods, you may like to think for ten seconds about what other people might be doing when they post. I was typing one-handed while feeding my baby and I didn't have ten seconds to think of a word that I didn't know someone on here would 'hate'.

Jaro likes this.
  9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

@Melissa Bailey Don't let it discourage you. You are a writer, you'll use whatever words you want, and make the best possible story out of them. :)

Jaro likes this.
  10. Melissa Bailey

Thanks KaTrian xo

11. bythegods

bythegods Banned

Its not too late to turn bad habits around. I hope you will ponder upon my points and come back to deliver articles with greater impact!

12. Melissa Bailey

Seriously? CHECK YOUR GRAMMAR! In both your article and your above comment you have incorrect grammar and you're pulling me up on the use of one word? At least my word was correctly used and spelled. Rack and off and bother someone else.

Jaro likes this.
  13. Melissa Bailey

@KaTrian how do I delete comments from my thread on here - this is getting a bit ridiculous and I'd prefer for anyone else looking at my profile not to see this rubbish. Thank you in advance!

14. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

@Melissa Bailey, first, welcome to the forums. I hope you'll stick around despite the completely tasteless stumble that was totally not your fault. This really is a great place and a veritable fountain of information and amazing individuals. It's fantastic you pay attention to grammar, punctuation etc. even in your posts, and, of course, all moms are super-awesome.

There, I believe I covered all the "bad words." So what? No one has any right to decide which words you should or shouldn't use, and such proactive policing around the forums is just ridiculous and unwanted.
    There's a time and place for writing advice, but this isn't it, so yeah, feel free to use even those evil words when communicating here; if someone doesn't like it, that's their problem, not yours.

Anyway, only the mods and the admin can delete posts and we do that very rarely, usually only when that post breaks forum rules. In this case I'd say forgive, forget, move on, and enjoy your stay. :)

Jaro, minstrel and KaTrian like this.
  15. Melissa Bailey

Haha very nice. We'll see how we go.

16. elynne

elynne Active Member

@Melissa Bailey you can also totally ignore specific forum members; it won't completely remove their posts from your threads, but at least you won't have to keep seeing them--which is, of course, fantastic. ;) and welcome!

Melissa Bailey likes this.
  17. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You realize that list is rather anal of you, right? There might be times where these words belong, such as a character's voice. And if I were going to pick words for my personal ick list, "ugh" would be on it. ;)

I see you are both Brisbanites. Perhaps you could kiss and make up. :D

18. Melissa Bailey

Thanks @elynne, what an amazing person you are!
    @GingerCoffee lolololololol... ahhh no, one of my bad words might slip out and ruin him forever :/

Jaro likes this.
  19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You have slippery bad words? How amazing!

Oopsie...

Jaro likes this.
  20. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Bad Troll! Bad Troll! [​IMG]

21. Robert Klein II

Robert Klein II Member

Welcome my awesome most amazing friend!
    It is so super and fantastic that you decided to join. I'll be totally nice once I get to know you. I'm sure you're a great guy! I'll be veritably mad if you do anything mean. Although it should be completely fine after a while!

-sits back and grabs popcorn- :pop:

Jaro and Lewdog like this.
  22. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

That was wonderful!

23. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

Welcome @Melissa Bailey! It's AWESOME to have you here, and I hope you have an AMAZING time browsing through the TOTALLY FANTASTIC forum we have here. There are a lot of GREAT people here (and some not so SUPER). I am COMPLETELY appalled that some would go so far to make someone feel so unwelcome in our VERITABLE wonderland of creativeness :)

Anyways, welcome aboard. I hope you haven't been scared away :)

24. Melissa Bailey

hahaha, what's SUPER funny is you're all getting to know me through this AMAZING post. Thank you for your kind words. I'll happily supply popcorn and Coke, though it appears Mr Wordthief has gone quiet. @Cogito, yes I have slippery bad words and they're a lot nastier than those listed the 'words not to be used' post... although I'm wondering whether this was a ploy of his to have everyone read his post.

elynne and Jaro like this.
  25. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

Oh Coke, how I love the!

The sippy kind, not the snorty kind :p