1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Can a man ...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Mar 16, 2011.

Flounce - there was a discussion about this on the Radio last week can't remember the general consensus.

2. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I would say that generally not but a character did just spring to mind,

Ruby Rod from The 5th Element movie, I believe he flounces a lot.

3. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

No doubt..... doesn't every good story need a man flouncing ?...You mudder fuggers complete me , my story lacked a flouncer ..fixin' to write him now...thanks

1 person likes this.
  4. Elgaisma

I am weighing up two lines lol either 'Impressive flounce - could do with more hair.' OR 'You need more hair to flounce.' lol The answer to this is vital.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Oh, he did! I would have to agree that your average lumberjack or construction worker wouldn't be caught dead "flouncing" but there are men who do, and Ruby Rod is a perfect example.

1 person likes this.
  6. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I definitely like the first one better. By far.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ion

Ion New Member

I have never heard this word before now.

1 person likes this.
  8. Elgaisma

It's an exaggerated movement that indicates irritation/anger or in some cases mock irritation/anger.

I think it originally came from the way a skirt moved (a flounce is a kind of trimming). So was limited to women and drag queens. Now I associate it with a toss of the head, maybe a slam of the door and possibly a tut or some similar noise. A man can physically do it but is it a flounce lol However I am just guessing at the origin.

The two sentences dramatically change the scene one indicating his flounce was successful - one indicating it wasn't and he looked like an ass.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Elgaisma,

Soc is totally the type of guy who would flounce. The word fits him perfectly. Roll with it.

10. Elgaisma

lol the fact that it is that obvious which character I am talking about says a lot - I think you are right. The movement is very much him I just wasn't sure if I could getting away with calling it a flounce.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

use it for a guy and most readers will either assume he's gay, or that the writer wasn't familiar with the word, as it's generally used to describe a female's movement...

12. Elgaisma

Well as he is gay no problem there :) Given he is on a date with another man at the time don't think my readers will be in any doubt.

I think the fact Mallory guessed who was doing the flouncing without me ever mentioning it (clearly didn't put it down to any of my other characaters gay or otherwise lol) tells me what I need to know.

I know there was differing opinion on the national radio show.

13. Mallory

Yes, it was obvious - I can just picture Soc flouncing across the room with his little dog (the one in your profile pic) in his bag. :)

14. Elgaisma

LOL Russ wasn't in the scene but you don't need to put a Jack Russell in bag - speaking from experience those dogs know how to flounce and will flounce out in imitation of their owner :)

I wouldn't degrade Russ by putting him in a bag :) - He's at home watching TV with the boys probably drinking beer and eating crisps with them (chips)

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I've seen plenty of gay men flounce! Straight guys can flounce, too, but like maia says, it would make them seem gay if you use the word out of the blue. You could make sure their orientation was clear, then use it to indicate they are being peevish or slightly childish--like they are having a tantrum.

16. Elgaisma

I think his sexual orientation is clear from the prologue :) If kissing another man in chapter 2 didn't do it, This is chapter 4 and he is on a date with another man.

Actually the flounce didn't make him look stupid it was done in mock seriousness for the shock of the person it was aimed at and for those around the person to find humour at their expense.

I personally see it as camp rather than gay but guess am alone with that.

17. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Flouncing is not a masculine trait, it is not even a gay trait, maybe if they're flamboyant---it's kind of obnoxious actually:rolleyes:

When girls do it it can be cute, when guys do it=annoying.

Didn't you see the way Corbin Dallas wanted to throttle that guy's neck in 5th Element?:p

18. Mallory

Yes but Soc, while powerful and serious when he absolutely has to be, is quite the flamboyant tease himself. :)

I know her character well.

19. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

This is the perfect example where you shouldn't trust dictionaries only. I'd never heard of the word before, and went straight to look it up.

In Longman dictionary it's described like this: "to walk in a quick determined way without looking at people because you are angry"

It's accurate? Seeing the explanation Elgaisma gave, yes. But the description would never make me assume it's more commonly used to talk about women.

I'm freaking out now! *Screams thinking about the milions of words she'd thought she knew the application of.*

20. Elgaisma

Flounce is one of those lovely words that describes itself better than a dictionary can - the word sounds almost like the associated action. Miss Piggy was the Queen of flouncing.

It definitely involves the head but I think even with his short hair Mallory is right my character can manage it - he is intending to annoy someone. Think it is better if he carries it off rather than looks like a prat.

21. FictionAddict

FictionAddict New Member

Hehe... thanks for the imagery.

*Adds flounce together with Miss Piggy and Ruby Rap in mind's library*

22. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

*Thinks back to the "Are you being served" BBC series of the 1970s/1980s*

John Inman used to flounce quite well, actually. :)