Childhood favorites

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by joe, Mar 10, 2009.

1. zingsho

zingsho New Member

Oh My God!

2. zingsho

zingsho New Member

i never read harry potter.....and not any time soon....

3. Ohmytheoctopus

Ohmytheoctopus New Member

Aww, no Harry Potter? I remember getting the first three of them for my eleventh birthday and I've read those to shreds. seriously. the first one doesnt even have a cover anymore!

4. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Ok Now I feel old. We are talking about childhood books and Harry Potter came out as an adult. Lol When I was a child there were new Tom Swift books coming out.

The Christmas Tree ate my Brother was another favorite. Who is this Encyclopedia Brown I got to look him up on Wiki. Are scholastic books still popular in schools today? That was the publisher that I got most of my early stuff from.

Edit: I have read Encyclopedia Brown great series I forgot about it.

5. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Oh, God. I don't remember who started this thread, but THANK YOU! So many I'm being reminded of -

Wayside School
    Tales of the Midnight hour and its sequels
    Shivers
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Richard Scarry
    Boxcar Children! "One warm night, four children stood in front of a bakery. No one knew them. No one knew where they had come from."
    Naya Nuki
    Ella Enchanted
    Thief
    The Whipping Boy
    The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm
    Misty's Twilight
    Hatchet (and its sequels)
    My Side of the Mountain
    A Wrinkle in Time
    A Wizard of Earthsea
    West from Honor
    The Egypt Game
    The Dark is Rising (six shall turn it back, three from the circle, three from the track - wood, bronze, iron, fire, water, stone ...)
    Dogsbody
    Charlotte's Web
    The Lottery Rose
    Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen
    Baby Sitter's Little Sister series

... gar. I think when I have kids, they're going to be taught to read when they're, oh, about two. And a half, maybe.

6. Benska

Benska New Member

I can't remember the all of the extremely early books that I read, Cat in The hat, and those kinds of books. I'm pretty sure, though, that the first "real" books that I read were A Series of Unfortunate Events - Lemony Snicket(AKA Daniel Handler). I think they were what perked my voracious reading habits, if you could call them that.
    I still thoroughly enjoy reading those 13 Books today.

7. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

All very true - except for one, minor detail and I apologise in advance, but I just can't help myself :redface:... Cinderella's slipper was, traditionally, made of black sable, not glass. At the time the story was first written, black sable was the height of noble fashion.

But I agree, keep the traditional endings, I say! They're far more interesting and affecting. :-D

8. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

And didn't the little mermaid end up commiting suicide because the prince married someone else. If you look at the original endings of the stories they had a certain morality they were trying to get across to children.

9. litilraven

litilraven New Member

Wow...

Twinpanther...we may very well be close in age. I've not heard of most of the books that are being listed here....YES I remember scholastic books! I always wanted books but my Mother wouldn't allow me to have them (long story of control issues there lol).

When I was a very young child, my Father used to read all of the tales from the Brother's Grimm...He also read Aesop's fables to me, (The goblin's will gitcha if ya don't watch out!). My father read all the nursery rhymes too.

I didn't start reading on my own until my twenties.
    I liked the series by David Eddings, that had ten books to the series, and for the life of me I can't remember any titles (brain freeze).

I read most Stephen King, and Dean R Koontz. I've read some of Cussler. Have read a lot of mystery books.... The sleuth books with the woman medical examiner (lol my brain is out of it today).

Read a very interesting book called "The Lovely Bones". the book was in first person from the perspective of the deceased daughter that was molested and murdered...the auther had a lot of insight!

Okay, my befuddled brain is done for now, lol

10. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

@ littleraven I just checked your profile and I appologize cause you are older then me by a little bit. lol. I am sorry to hear that you were not allowed to read whatever you wanted.

My mom was the exact oppsite. When I was a child she would take the nintendo, the tv and VCR away from me to punish me. I would look at her and laugh and say at least I have my books.

She would always smile at me and say "I know" and so I never viewed it as a punishment being without those things and to this day I do not watch much television but I read all I can (when not reading to my two children).

I need to find my old books so they can grow up with the classics.

11. litilraven

litilraven New Member

Well, I'm more than likely older than 3/4 of the site LOL...but that's okay.

I think that's wonderful that you read to your kids. I have very fond memories of my Father doing so :)

12. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Member

I remember Bedtime Stories with Hansel and Gretzle..The Three Little Pigs and some other short stories mixed in and then Peter the Rabbit.

13. Arrow

Arrow New Member

Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes were my favorite mostly because they kept me wondering about the characters, their adventures and mishaps, and the settings for these rhymes and short stories. Even to this day I still wonder about some of them.

I still remember that one of my favorite books was about JFK. It had black and white pictures and large print--clearly meant for a child. This book left quite an impression on me as did the biography of MLK.

I was fortunate to have had Head Start...and Phonics...and SRA. I was an avid reader and I still am to this day!