1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Childish Writing

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Neoaptt, Feb 18, 2010.

Hello i'm Quinton Paul Ward, a short storist. (Made that up)

I find after reading some adults writing and then some kids writing i found that there is a slight diffrance between the two. Granted everyone has their own style but it's much more than that.

It might have something to do with the overall experience that older people have compared to younger people. But i don't know for sure.

When over viewing my writing i found that I use less detail and there is more loophole in my writing.

I don't really plan an extensive outline. Only what needs to get done. After that i usually let my hands do the rest.

I would like help with creating a better writer in myself. If there are technique or helpful possesses that i have to do I'll be more than willing to try them.

I think one thing that would help me is creating a character sheet. Where I can write down what this character is like. Then go back and refer to that as to not make a loophole in something that he/she does.

Thanks for reading,

quinton

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

When you say kids writing, do you mean something written by kids? Of course it's going to be different because their language skills are not at the same level as an adult's,

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The best thing you can do to become a better writer is to read. The more you read, the better sense you will have about what is good writing, and what is not. While reading, pay attention not only to te story itself, but how the writer tells it.

The second technique is to write. You'll write a lot of garbage, but if you've been doing your reading, you'll rcognize the garbage and begin to weed it out. Be critical of your writing, but not of yourself. "This paragraph is completely unnecessary" is criticism of your writing, and is useful. "I'm a talentless loser who will never be good enough" is criticism of yourself, and is utterly useless.

As for character sheets, some members will disagree with me, but I say avoid them like the plague. They lead to cookie-cutter characters. They are a snapshot of the character at a moment of time, with a lot of detail that is utterly useless, and my constrain you later. Do you know your friends from such a survey? No, you know them by the interactions you have had with them, te situations you have seen them deal with. Even someone you met five minutes ago, you will have a decent first impression of, without ever having the answers to the questions on a character sheet.

4. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Thanks for the feed back.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

do you mean writing that is for children, rather than by children?... regardless, in either case there is more than a slight difference, actually, so i have to wonder what you've been reading...

as for helping you to become a better writer, the first thing you must do is upgrade your use of english, since what you have written here is badly flawed, apparently due to your birth language being other than english...

after that, one can't really give you any tips without seeing some of your work, to find out what you need to work on... i mentor many aspiring writers whose native tongue is another language, so let me know if i can be of any help to you...

love and hugs, maia

6. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Lol is my english that bad? English is my native tougne. And i'm 17.

I guess i still do need to work on my english.

And writing by children. Or rather young teens. I read some zombie short stories at http://www.talesofworldwarz.com/stories/ I find that young people write different. I am now thinking it might just be me who see's it this way. I don't acually know how to explain it. It is a really suddele effect.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well, i guess you were texting, or sleeping in english class then... ;-)

in any case, first you must certainly work on upgrading your basic writing skills, if you want to become a better writer... then, as you mature and experience more of life, you should find your writing taking on more 'depth'...

8. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Depth is the key word that i have been looking for!!! Not childist. I want more depth in my writing. Though i probebly should stop sleeping in english class. And failing out of it. XD

I love writing class though. But there is no such thing at my school. So i had to join this forum.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Well, not all young people write the same way. I know a lot of people around my age who can write very well. In fact, I'm 16 and Mexican, and through hard work and lots and lots of reading and writing, I've managed to have a good English. It is all about practice and determination.