Tags:
  1. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Attached?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Alex_Hartman, Oct 26, 2008.

Everyone gets attached to at least one piece of writing, right? And that's okay. The only problem is that the two small "scenes" that I'm attached to are 563 words and 1,856 words. I would love to keep going, but I don't want to ruin them! I just like them the way they are. But I can't just keep them there. And neither of them would fit into the story I'm writing, though I think I could make them fit together if I wanted to create a new story.

What do I do with them?

2. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

If it was me, I would put them on ice and just keep writing. (That means I would save them for a later time, in case you are non-English-speaking.) I hope this was helpful. yours in Chaos, Scarlett

3. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

That's sort of what I've been doing. For some reason I just really want to do something with them. Maybe I should put them in a story together...

4. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Why not build a short story around them? At 1,800 words it's nearly there already...

I find short stories are a good way to clear out those cool, unrelated scenes that crop up and annoy/distract you if you don't put them down...

5. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Why not build a short story around them? At 1,800 words it's nearly there already...

I find short stories are a good way to clear out those cool, unrelated scenes that crop up and annoy/distract you if you don't put them down...

6. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

The only problem with doing that is that they are similar scenes, but one would fit more in the beginning and the other more toward the climax/end. And with the small idea forming in my head, there would be a lot going on. So it would be sort of a big short story, closer to novella size.

7. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Ok... so this is a pretty big deal for you, and here you are ASKING STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET FOR ADVICE. Ergh... anyway:

If I have a scene from my writing that seems disconnected and doesn't help drive the narrative along, then I put it on ice. Don't try to force a square peg into a round hole, or whatever. Maybe you can, as noted above, make an entirely new story around that discarded scene. xoxo

8. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Strangers have good ideas sometimes. =D I could probably let them sit on my desktop for a little while longer...hmmm...

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nah. I don't let strangers sit on my desktop. You don't know WHERE they've been...

Seriously, if a scene doesn't fit into a story framework, it's not much use for now. Stick it in My Documents, and maybe you'll have a story later that it fits beautifully into. I have a few scenes like that (in my head, not even on paper or bits yet), that are waiting for the right story to call home.

10. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Yeah, that's kind of what's happening now. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas.

11. CommonGoods

CommonGoods New Member

You could print it and hang it on a wall. I have some short short stories and poems on my walls (not all of them written by myself) and it works very soothing. It feels great to wake up at 3 AM and be able to read that one poem or scene. (It does, actually. But only if afterwards you can stay in bed till 11:00.)