?

Choose the theme of the "Predetermined Intro" contest.

Poll closed Jan 25, 2010.
  1. 1) It was the way ...

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. 2) The stable door drifted ...

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. 3) "Green or brown?"

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 4) I hate Saturdays.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Choose the theme for the upcoming "Predetermined Intro" contest (starts Monday)

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Gannon, Jan 23, 2010.

The next short story contest, which starts Monday, will be themed "Predetermined Intro". I have just put together the below scenarios. Your task when entering this contest is to continue the intro in whichever manner you see fit. Therefore, please vote for the intro you would like to continue from the below scenarios. The piece with the most votes becomes the next contest.

Oh, and please no mocking of my intros - they are all my own work (albeit brief work). Seriously. :)

-----------------------

1)

It was the way in which the light caught her that day which intrigued me most. I followed her a little further, outlines and shadows playing tricks with my eyes. At a distance she melted into the drizzle. Closer, she fused with the rigid angles of the city. Then, I lost her altogether.

2)

The stable door drifted on its hinges, not a sound to be heard. Yesterday, from the same vantage, Jeremy had watched two children steal from the barn, crawl the fence's length and gingerly enter the stable. There was silence then too. Lowering his field glasses, Jeremy took a slow draw from his cigarette and turned for home.

3)

“Green or brown? I'm thinking green. What do you reckon?” Claire waited a moment and repeated herself, but there was still no response. The muted TV projected a flickering blue glow in the half-light. She held two lampshades, both still in their cellophane. “Will you answer me, godammit?”

The stairwell shook with her frustration. Lucas appeared at the top step, his deflated eyes lost in a tangle of hair. By his side hung a pistol. Clearing his throat, Lucas started down the stairs. “I'm going out for a while” he said. “Don't wait up.”

4)

I hate Saturdays. It's the day when Red swings by without fail. His boys wait out at the Three Mile Point truck stop, but he always makes them wait. One peel of his Harley and my customers know to look away. His boots crunch on the diner floor, his oversize palm hits the counter and his order always comes with a smile. “Not today” I say to myself. And I smile.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Question: Must these intros be retained verbatim? For example, is the entrant required to tell the story in the narrative voice selected for the intro fragment, or is the entrant allowed to make reasonable alterations?

For that matter, how about letting the writer select which intro to expand upon, instead of constraining it to one?

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Valid questions. The purpose of these contests is purely to inspire our member base to write, so the rules are not so strict.

Treat the scenarios as exactly that. Not to be taken verbatim unless desired, and reasonable alterations may be made.

I think for the contest we will stick with the original idea of the most popular scenario being the theme, rather than a free for all where all scenarios are valid.

This type of contest is new and a learning curve for both entrant and organiser. I'll gauge success or otherwise and take mylearnings into subsequent contests.

Thanks and kind regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.