1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Choosing a middle chapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Elgaisma, Jan 14, 2011.

One publisher I want to approach next asks for the first chapter and last chapter which I am delighted about they are fantastic chapters.

However they want one other from anywhere inbetween. I like them all lol I am delighted they are not asking for chapter three because it is my least favourite.

What elements would you look for in an ideal chapter to send ? Any tips ? I have narrowed it down to one of four.

1 person likes this.
  2. Soul

Soul New Member

Well,if you have an interseting side character that somehow build up mc(help him resolve conflict/enlight him self in some way),than maybe some of that characters past,or any other character that is interesting.

On the other side maybe some event that made storie the way it is,like battle,or some conflict between characters.

To sum it up,something that takes lot impact on story and don't need to connected to timeline of story itself.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

If I were you, I'd go with a scene that involves a major discovery, or a confrontation moment, or a build-up for a major battle. Some kind of mega, plot-turning "aha" moment, you know? The pub will want to know how you handle major key scenes.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

thats my trouble most of my chapters have major supporting characters and action lol

I have narrowed it down to 4, one has a wedding and Angus turns into a bird for first time, one has a battle, one has an execution and the other he returns to school.

5. Soul

Soul New Member

Go with wedding or execution,either will f**k you up for life :D ,just kiding.

Since reading some of your posts i think that you describe your character really good so that transoformation looks appealing,and school comeback :)

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Battle or execution. I like adrenaline.

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Execution.

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I'd say the bird one, since it's a fantasy and they'll want to see how you handle the most intense fantasy moments. Your opening has next to no fantasy elements from what I read... Haven't read the end, but generally I don't think endings of fantasies would go into the level a first transformation would :p