1. Chris_Bryant

Chris_Bryant Member

ChrisB's Fried Writing Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Chris_Bryant, May 10, 2016.

As of today, I have one overarching goal with my writing: Publish my work in significant enough body to make writing a full time gig.

To this I plan on writing Sci-Fi novels under this name, as well as short stories and other fiction under other pseudonyms. I currently have a series idea that deals with Life on a martian Colony. To this I've already started writing the second novel. (I had an idea for a novel within the same scope after starting this one, but the logical timeline of the two is that the novel I thought of later will go first. )

Under my other pseudonym, I currently have seven short stories under various stages of development. One is at a full draft and I'm currently in the process of editing and refining it. As much as I want to post a significant excerpt of that story here, I'm unsure of how that will affect copyright once I try to publish it. (will have to ask about that or find out soon.)

I have a few friends from university who studied English and Comparative literature, and if they're okay with it, I intend to ask them for a read through and comments.

My current difficulties are getting into the pace of being a consistent writer. Treating writing like work and hobby is a little difficult, but I find that even when I spend 2 or 3 hours writing I do not mind it. The skill to be learned here is consistency, writing every day and writing even when I feel like I'm stuck and no good ideas are coming out.

I'm a firm believer that in order to be a good writer, one must simply start by writing. First drafts are often snowballed. I start writing something and keep going until I reach a logical stop point. This has produced some crazy drafts, but it helps me get an idea of where I'm at with the story and the characters.

I feel a little weird with some projects, because I have yet to really get into the characters. I also need to learn to take one project at a time.

I have a slight fear of publishing anything by any means, partially because I never really feel like I can finish things to 100% satisfaction. This is part of the reason I choose pseudonyms. I feel like I can publish good work under those names until I've developed a mastery of the craft such that I'd feel somewhat comfortable publishing under my own.

I hope to update this journal on a weekly basis to cover my progress and setbacks. Inspirations and writer's blocks.

Raven484 likes this.
  2. Chris_Bryant

Chris_Bryant Member

No significant progress in weeks.

I've found Love.

3. Chris_Bryant

Chris_Bryant Member

I'm back into the writing game after a few months of really settling things. I've been writing a lot on reddit's /r/writingprompts. I had wanted to enter one of their competitions, but life threw a brick at me, combined with some poor time management and I wasn't able to finish a piece that really felt worthy of being read. It was a lot of words to say almost nothing.

I'm certain that for the next competition, I'll be more aware and more prepared for what may come.

For the past few days though, I've been doing quite well with my writing. I've been managing anywhere from two to three thousand words a day! Now that I'm in between jobs, I have so much time, and I'm trying to use every second to write.

I typically have a habit of thinking about what I'm going to write before I write it. But I've been reading a lot about just writing everything that's in my head and just getting everything I have to say out in my draft.

I'm going to try that for a short story and see what I can get out of it.

As for participation on these forums, I should get back into the swing of reading and critiquing other's works. I feel like if I spend some time working with other people to improve their writing, I'll benefit and improve my own! Here's to hoping, anyway.

My goal for this week is to finish a short story!