1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Chronology Issue

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by A.M.P., Jun 11, 2015.

As some of you may know, my current work has three characters doing their own thing and each chapter is dedicated to one PoV.

Most of the time, it's 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 but occasionally It's like 1,2,1,2,3,2,1

However, I just realized I have dug myself into a hole..

One character three chapters that happen back to back because they have no time lapse.
    While the other two have about 2-14 days lapses...

Can I just say "Fuck the chronology" and hope people won't get confused when I say "two weeks past by for this character" and next chapter "Oh, we're back to two weeks with this character"

2. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Would you be willing to accept that? Or would you revise your work?

3. A.M.P.

How DARE you make me face my own question?

:p

I want to say I'd be fine with it but I'm not but I have no idea how to change the timeline as it would mess everything up.
    If I push back some chapters for later they will deal with things that are so old and some characters wouldn't possibly be there.

I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with having her last three chapters all in a row. There's no rules or reason for them not to be. I mean, I doubt the reader would go "Uggh, another of her chapters?"

Maybe I'm making an anthill out of an... ant? dirt?... something.

4. Reilley Turner

It sounds, to me at least, that one of the only options, possibly the only option is to start the story again so that it makes more sense, but keep the other one as reference and take the things that you like from the old story. But your more experienced then me, I'm sure you'll come up with something. :p

Good luck and hope to read the final copy one day!

A.M.P. likes this.
  5. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Maybe your project is just too ambitious.

If you feel like your reader may forget the characters due to the 1, 2, 3 writing style, then don't do it like this.

6. A.M.P.

No point in rewriting because of a chronology issue as the story would be identical.
    If anything, I'd have to "delay" the other characters or think of something new for them to experience inbetween their destinations.
    I think what I need to do is create something new for the other characters to experience on their journeys that happen more or less at the same time and then return to other character and finish it up and then go to what I already have...

@Reilley Turner Thanks, I think that's the right idea. You've been a good help :3

@Aaron Smith
    Huh? That's not what I'm on about.
    I just don't like having a character having multiple chapters in a row for themselves instead of continuing with jumping from one to the next.

7. A.M.P.

@Reilley Turner
    Yeap, I fixed thanks to you.
    The final chapter gets bumped up a little (It wasn't necessary for it to be the ending chapter) and I figured out how to logically add more time (I changed a few dates around and created an extra day) and now it all works perfectly!
    Phew... that was a brain teaser for sure.

8. Reilley Turner

No problem, I aim to please. :3