1. Marie Frebronze

Marie Frebronze New Member

Is there any such thing as "cliche"?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marie Frebronze, Jun 12, 2015.

Which, I suppose, is a very big question. The reason I ask is this:

My MC (Artemis) is the target of a murderer (Dmitri). His ex-boyfriend (Balthazar) is being framed for it.

Originally, my MC accidentally killed his mother, who the murderer was in love with. Fine, right? But there were more holes in that plot than swiss cheese such as, "Why on EARTH would the murderer frame someone like the MC's ex?"

So I reworked the plot a bit, and the updated version goes a little like this (a 720 word plot outline):

So, the big questions here are: 1. Are jilted lovers cliche? 2. Is it too dark/edgy? 3. Does it even remotely make sense?

Edit: I just want to point out that this is just background/history stuff. Most of it probably won't even be touched in the book (or at least, not all at once).

2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Putin would be pissed. He translated during the fall of the U.S.S.R. in Berlin for the KGB and is noted for his sense of loss for the old days of a Russian superpower. Could help you in publishing, but just checking if you're aware of this polemic.

I follow the plot, and it makes sense, but have no idea what's trite in publishing.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

I suspect a moderator will be along to remove your snippet as a rules violation. I don't know what's trite any more either, but it's a cliche or cliched.

BrianIff likes this.