1. Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville New Member

Poetry Market

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Johnny Knoxville, Sep 25, 2010.

Hi there my name is Steph:) and I have been writing poetry for years.I really wanted to put all my poetry together in a book and get it published but have heard there is no real market for poetry books:confused:I also know that I would need to have critics look at my work too.I know getting published would be probably one of the hardest things ever to achieve.If I didn't get published I could still pursue other dreams like entering comps etc so not all is lost.Well any replies would be appreciated:D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You don't need critics if you can find an editoir who will accept the book. But it's true, there is virtually no market for poetry collections by an unknown author these days.

3. Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville New Member

Many thanks for your reply Cogito:)What do you find is the best way to get known.Would that be by winning lots of poetry competitions for example

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

And getting poems published in anthologies and magazines.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

more by getting published and recognized as a poet of worth, than winning contests!

6. Victorian girl

Victorian girl New Member

Unfortunately Steph I think the only way people who are successful in getting their poetry published are those already quite famous for other things, for example the comedian and t.v star Spike Milligan had some poetry books published and most of it I must say is very good and very moving. I wish the market for poetry would change as there are a lot of great poetry writers out there. I have a collection I wrote about the lake district but not sure if I will ever succeed in getting it out there.

But on the other hand, there are places who put together poetry anthologies from people, just beware though sometimes a lot of work in certain anthologies is partly rubbish as they just pad it out with anything to put the book together (probably just write a few lines themselves and say it is a submission) so the genuine writers themselves buy it and thats how they make their money. Sad but true!

However, an idea struck me at one time and it worked for me. I wrote a first draft of a fantasy adventure novel about eight years ago which I intend to pick up and complete again in the near future. I actually inserted poetry into it in appropriate places. Perhaps you could use your poetry that way? But it has to work well with the story. At least then you will stand a better chance of getting a whole story/novel published with your poetry in it rather than waiting until the poetry market changes.

Good luck.

Michelle.

7. mammamaia

that's ok if you just want to see it in print and if you can get some publisher to take on a novel peppered with poems [slim to none chance of that, imo], but it's not likely to gain the novelist a rep as a poet...

to 'make your bones' as a poet, you must get your work published in respected magazines and literary journals and have it well-received by the critics...

8. Victorian girl

Victorian girl New Member

I didn`t mean that the novel should be peppered with poems! I was talking about three poems maximum to go into the story! AND even then, like I said, only if and when appropriate!

9. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

A little bit like J.R.R. Tolkien stuffed his books with songs and rhymes (and he got away with a heckuva lot more than three per book).

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yet his creds are as a novelist, not a poet.

As Maia said:

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

The best way is to build a name for yourself, and build up your publishing credits. You might have the best poetry book in the world, but the fact of the matter is, I as the buyer, would much rather buy a poetry book by an author I have already been able to read elsewhere, than a poetry book by some random person who has never had any previous publications.

If you go to duotrope, or ralan, (links are easily found via a google search) you will find many places that accept poetry and try to get a few out there before you pitch your collection. Avoid anywhere that doesn't pay, or pays with exposure and contributor copes. Research each place before you submit.

12. Edward G

Edward G Banned

Okay, this is insane. Poetry's latest home is in gangsta rap music. That's where it gets published (and in pop, and country, too).

If you have poetry, get a good web site going and put that website in your signature. And start a blog. If I like your work, if I like your blog, I will eventually buy a book of your poetry that you self-publish and advertise on your web and blog.

I love poetry (good poetry). I would love to read your poetry, but where is it? Seriously, where is it? On your computer? But you want me to buy a book of it? You want a publisher to publish it at their expense and market you as an unknown to me?

Get serious. If you're a poet, then get serious. If you had a link in your signature, I as a consumer of poetry, would have clicked on it and checked you out. If it was good, I would have made a favorite to check out your blog on a daily basis.

That's the truth of the matter.

13. mammamaia

that's fine... but how many of 'you' are there?... i seriously doubt there'd be enough who'd go to that site and buy the book, for the author to recoup the cost of self-publishing, let alone make any profit...