1. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit Member

Citation?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The Byzantine Bandit, Nov 12, 2013.

I wrote a sentence in a paper which was inspired by something I thought a document said. However, when I went to cite that document, it turns out that it didn't actually say what I thought it said. Do I still need to cite that document or make some mention of it? Thanks!

2. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

If you were inspired by something you saw only to realise after you read it wrong, I think you should run away lol!

No seriously, you could just explain; I was reading this article (cite piece) and thought blah blah

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

I think it depends on the situation. If you were only "inspired" and come up with something completely different, I'd say you probably don't need to cite, but if it's the same idea, or if it's related to the idea, then yes.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Based on the info in your post, you don't have to mention it. You aren't quoting it directly or mentioning any idea from that document.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that... 'inspired by' with no words quoted verbatim from any source = your own original work...

everything we write is 'inspired by' something we've read/heard/seen... you only need to cite the source if you're referring to what was written or said by someone else, or quoting it...