1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Citing dictionaries

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rumwriter, Jan 6, 2015.

If you're putting a definition in an article or essay, do you have to cite where you got the definition to avoid plagiarism? Part of me feels like, because you are using their exact words, you have to cite them. The other part of me feels like you are simply stating a fact, so to speak, so you aren't stealing anything--a word means what it means. For instance, Pulp Fiction begins with definition of "Pulp." Tarantino doesn't cite a source--Pulp means what it means, no matter who said it.

I want to begin my blog post with a definition of "irony." Just looking for what is expected.

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife- apparently. Although the only irony in that song is the title.

Lemon flavoured likes this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

For an essay, it makes sense to attribute everything that you are quoting, so that your sources can be checked for accuracy (your accuracy in quoting them) and legitimacy (would you believe anything that Adolf Hitler said about the Jews?)

For a blog, I think that what's important is that your definition won't get a lot of people saying "That's not what it means! I'm going to look that up!" If that's unlikely, you don't need the attribution. But, on balance, I'd say give it (perhaps as a footnote) and save yourself too much heartache.

I don't think that a definition of a word is a plagiarism issue.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

From Purdue's Online Writing Lab:
    Note that the citation here is in MLA format.

Edited to clarify: Yes, you would need to cite it if you're using the definition from a particular dictionary.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. Daniel Hernandez

Daniel Hernandez Banned

6. lustrousonion

lustrousonion Contributing Member

Anytime you quote published words exactly, you have to cite. But if I were writing an essay, I'd try to find something outside of a dictionary definition. Depends on the tone of the essay, but you could find something from a scholar or even a comedian.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

A word's meaning is a fact, but many different words could be used to describe that meaning, so I'd be very surprised if the definition isn't copyrightable. I wouldn't be confident that citing the source would be sufficient.

One thought: How about finding a dictionary sufficiently old to be out of copyright?

Edited to add: It would still be plagiarism in that case, but not violation of copyright. If you don't want the plagiarism, just cite the source. I'd probably do tho by stating the definition where I want it, and then crediting it at the bottom. That's how I credit the "free but give credit" photos that I put in my blog.

8. Gawler

Gawler Contributing Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    Not really sure about this one. I do know that most dictionaries use The Oxford Dictionary as their source but cannot ever remember them quoting a source.

9. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I just ran across this blog by Jane Friedman, which deals with this topic in general. She teaches university courses in publishing and other writer-related topics, and seems well-informed—not only in her main blog article, but in the very informative discussion that follows.

Basically, citing sources seems to be a grey area AND seeking permission is not always necessary or a great idea! If you contact a publisher for permission they will always charge you for it—even if you're within the category of 'fair use.' If these publishers had to go to court to press their claim, they might well lose ...but you don't know that. It's a minefield.

http://janefriedman.com/2012/01/23/permissions/

Here is a particularly useful section, which is actually a blog written by another writer, but it deals more completely with use of quotes within works of fiction.

http://janefriedman.com/2013/07/15/the-fair-use-doctrine/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  10. Lemon flavoured

Lemon flavoured Active Member

Although of course there is the theory that that may be the whole point of the song...

11. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

And I feel it worth mentioning that starting your essay with a definition is a fine way to go, if you want your readers to think you're still in elementary school. You couldn't get more cliched.

http://blog.writeathome.com/index.php/2012/06/please-quit-starting-papers-with-dictionary-definitions/

12. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

@Jack Asher
    See, I was going to say that.
    But I felt it was too mean.

So, please don't start with a dictionary definition.
    Odds are, people know the word well enough unless the entire paper is about semantics and splitting hairs of a particular meaning because you're in some sort of linguist class..