1. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

You're Flying! Go!

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Andrae Smith, Nov 16, 2013.

Here's an exercise that I hope someone might pick up on and or find fun:

You are a superhero in flight at any time of day or night. You may be cruising just over the city, flying high above the countryside, rushing as fast as you can to save the day, or anything like that, but you are flying. Describe the experience in a simple paragraph or more (optional).

Caveat: you are not allowed to describe the sky directly. (Ex. Let's avoid "I streaked across the azure sky," and expressions like that.)

I'll start, and hopefully it will catch on and people will write their own scenes. It doesn't have to be like this, hopefully someone can do better! lol

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this flying thing. It's much harder than I thought it would be, especially the higher up I go. A strong current is pushing me to the right, and the cold air is biting at my face and eyes, but I manage to hold my general direction. In front of me, the first rays of sunlight are shining up through the clouds, giving off a warm shine and changing the colors around me to mark the new day in a beautiful transformation. Just as I gain a sense of ease and control, the current changes, throwing me to the left and sending me tumbling into the clouds. I tense up. It's moist and cold and everything is spinning. I can't make sense of direction. I stretch out my arms, trying to recover, then propel myself in the direction I think is up. With the wind howling in my ears I emerge just below the clouds and stop. So maybe I don't quite have it figured out, but even falling is exhilarating knowing I can stop long before I hit the ground.

2. dantotheyell

dantotheyell New Member

"Whoa." He was a little wobbly at first but soon got a handle on it. It being flying. Don't ask. He wasn't sure what was going on either. He just knew he was no longer on the ground. In fact, he was surrounded by clouds. "Now to just avoid any airplanes." The man muttered to himself. He laughed, reaching to touch one of the clouds, a sense of peace coming over him. He could get used to this. It was so peaceful up here. No bustling city where one could feel suffocated from the crowds on the street. From up here, they all looked like ants. Was this really happening? He wanted to pinch himself to see if he was dreaming but he had a slight concern that if he did that, he may end up falling. Why would he want to stop this? He felt like a superhero. Closing his eyes, he imagined his cape billowing in the wind. As a boy, he had looked up to Superman and now, here he was by some miracle. Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. How was he supposed to get down? "Where is Superman when you need him?"

Andrae Smith likes this.
  3. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

This cape has got to be the worst idea ever. It does nothing but create drag and whip me across the back of the legs. I bet I'd be twice as fast without it. Of course that wouldn't matter, because I can't see shit. Definitely need to add goggles to the list. And, it's cold, damn cold. So, lose the cape and pick up some goggles and long-johns. Out of my way, duck.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Ha ha I like those! And @Garball I think most heroes would agree with you (except for Superman, who has no problems with anything but a rock). lol

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Tempest ascended through swirling mist and into the cool dry air above the clouds. The clouds below were a pale, lumpy blanket, but they thinned out to the east. City lights fanned out like a bright spiderweb, with crawling streams of read and white specks along the highways. Tempest floated in the peaceful silence, and examined each of the drifting specks until she saw the one she sought. She dove toward it, and the slipstream formed around her, chuffing rhythmically a the cold air split before her with a roar.

Andrae Smith likes this.