1. United

United Member

Cliche? "Prophecies","Godly Protagonist", "Saves the World"?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by United, Mar 20, 2015.

Archetypal plot used in my story:

1. "Child of Prophesy"
    2. Godly Protagonist (who becomes 'godlier'/stronger, not necessarily literally and physically; gains "powers" or "knowledge" throughout the story)
    3. Saves the World from ________ (the story initially took place where ________ is like the "evil warlord" or something along those lines----could be a single person, could be a race)
    4. Ending: To Be Determined-----*Insert the dilemma of choosing how the story should be internally resolved for the character and concluded*

I was wondering if this plot (which is the "general plot outline") is very cliche and "outdated".

I know there is a "niche community" of readers (probably sci-fi/fantasy) who like this kind of stuff, but I don't want to be limited to those kinds of readers. I don't want to be seen as a "sci-fi/fantasy author"; I want to be seen as a contemporary author who uses 'creative elements' (which just happens to be sci-fi/fantasy elements in this case) to drive the plot of my story.

If I use this plot, will I automatically be considered a "sci-fi/fantasy author", or is it possible to make my story more nuanced and contemporary.

2. VirtuallyRealistic

VirtuallyRealistic Active Member

"It's not the idea that matters, it's what you do with those ideas." - Neil Gaiman

Yes, those three points are cliche. Yes, they've been done before. Yes, they'll be done a thousand times after you've done it. However, what's important is the in between details. The interesting and unique things you manage throughout the story. To throw a cliche at your cliche: It's not the destination, it's the journey.

3. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

Also, think about that structure. Why in the world would we have an archetype like that? What does it mean relative to a person, or even better, to people who largely read stories that more or less adopt this ready-made plot sequence? Broad questions, but try to answer them: You might think of your story differently.