1. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

Does this plot contain enough... crunch?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Flashfire07, Nov 5, 2011.

Ok, I'm writing a series of short stories about a small group of people who are surviving victims of snuff films, they've formed a group to take down the top 13 snuff with fire and bullets. Now, so far I'm thinking of doing these stories as basically a series of hunts, they rack down their targets, kill them and move on, the thing is... i can write this kind of story very well but I'm wondering if it lacks... crunch? By that I mean, does it need more to it or is it ok wo just write it the wayI mentioned?

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I think it would be cool if each short story was one revenge story. So in the end you would have thirteen short stories. Maybe even have each short story be the revenge story of one person getting back at their snuff film maker.

To clarify; thirteen victims, thirteen snuff film makers and thirteen revenge short stories. Also, maybe have one short story at the beginning to tie it all together and another at the end to close it all out. So, fifteen short stories in all.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The story is in the telling. Your plots can be very satisfying if you write them well. If you write them poorly, all the crunchiness in the world won't save them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Flashfire07

That's a good diea, I origionall had planned it out at jsut thirteen stories. My wory is that the plots will seem very samey and get boring after about the 4th story.

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

They will get only samey if the revenge paths are similar and the outcomes are predictable. Why should they have to be, though?

6. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I don't think it's a bad idea to write a series of short stories. I do that too with my screenplays. I normally write the same theme with different situations. If you can really pull this off, it would be a great idea. Just don't think it's going to be easy if you can't "show" the plotline instead of "telling" it. I'm not sure if tying the story together will make a difference. I would give it a try.

7. Flashfire07

I don't know how else you can do aplotline other than telling it, when people tell me to show not tell I assume they mean make it subtle, is that right?

True, I think what I might do is have the stories start off small, introducing characters and organisations, then over the next few stories put characters together and have them take out key filming groups, maybe have a character die at the end of one of the stories. Now that I think about it there are plenty of was to add plot crunch to it.

8. SnappyUK

SnappyUK New Member

I'm no expert, but if you don't mind more suggestions, here's what your premise made me think:

If your readers realise the reasons for the killings from the first, they may not stick with the story to its ultimate end, you need to reveal the details slowly - especially about it being a conspiracy of victims on a revenge spree.
    If you write them as effectively separate stories, are there going to be any linking characters in each episode? For example an FBI investigator assigned to either the new disappearances/murders or to the original snuff film murders, or a chief conspirator*?
    The deaths of the film makers could be tailored to each individual. The Vincent Price film "Theatre of Blood" used this in a comic way, which may not be suitable for your story, but is the most memorable example I know.

*Here's a weird thought: What if the chief conspirator in the revenge killings is, himself, filming the killings and producing a snuff movie of his own? The victims all think he is a victim too and trust him enough to go along with the murders? Just another layer - probably one that you'd want to dismiss!

Good luck with the story.