1. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Reputation Comments

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by erebh, May 31, 2013.

Is it possible to include a function which gives the origination of reps?

Or will people kind enough to give reps please remember to tag themselves?

Thank you!

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I wish the tag was automatically included, too. I understand that originally it was anonymous because you could give negative rep, but since you can no longer do that, I don't see the point. I always try to "sign" my rep comments, but occasionally I forget. I always like to know, too, who was kind enough to give me rep.

3. killbill

killbill Member

I think the existing system is fine. When I give reps I have the option to let myself known or not. As a receiver I appreciate it when a person just like my comment and expect nothing in return. But I understand the feeling of wanting to know the kind person who just gave me reps.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I am curious -- maybe there is something I haven't thought of, but I really want to know why you'd want to remain anon if you're giving positive rep? No one else sees it, so you can "privately" agree with someone if there's a controversial thread or something where you don't want everyone to know you like the person's comment. But is there a reason you'd want the person who wrote the thread not to know you liked the response?

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I always sign my rep comments. It never occurred to me that anyone giving positive rep would want to be anonymous. I have had rep given to me unsigned, and I wish I knew whom I pleased with my comment.

I think it would be nice if rep is automatically tagged.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think the best approach would be to have a "Sign comment" option, checked by default. That would allow an anonymous comment if the rep-giver really wanted to remain anonymous, but would sign it for all those reppers who never considered that it isn't auto-signed.

I ALWAYS sign rep comments, but that's my choice.

7. ProsonicLive

ProsonicLive New Member

I agree

8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I think Cog's solution is best. I'll try to see if something like that is available. In the meantime I'd suggest just signing the rep comment with your username if you want the other party to know it was you.

9. killbill

killbill Member

You are not completely anonymous if one person, person who is receiving the reps in this case, knows it's you.

Personally, I remain anonymous when I am giving reps to senior members with high reputation power (such as yourself). Otherwise, it just seems like I am begging them for some reps back, and it completely undermines the genuine appreciation I was showing for their posts.