1. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

if you tried to prove dragons existed.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by heyharris1, Oct 18, 2007.

ok, i had no idea where to put this, so i voted for this spot.

ok, the question is, in my book im attempting to write, there is a detective who is trying to prove that dragons really do exist, to do this im trying to think of who he would need to talk to, i keep thinking an archaeologist. but im not sure, is there another profession that deals with the believe in magical beast. kinda like if you thought you seen a flying saucer you would contact the people that deal with UFO's, hope im explaining myself correctly.
    thank you all very much.
    jim

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    People to talk to would be biologists, paleontologists (people who study ancient animals), folklore/myth scholars, anthropologists who deal with cultures that use dragons in their culture.
    Archeology would also play a large factor, as they might have dug up some interesting things, and ancient/extinct cultures might have more evidence then more recent and still existing cultures.

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Mythologists would be the appropriate word for folklore/myth scholars. So that completes your lists.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Thanks I knew there was a better name for them.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You might also deal with archeozoologists, as your interest is in (presumably) extinct animals.

Most archeology is interested in excavating remains of human civilization, whereas archeozoologists are focused on the development of animal species through the ages.

6. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

there are also Cryptozoologists who deal with things like Sasquatch and the Loch Ness monster They would do Dragons. They also do "real" animals like Coelocanths, and other unknowns and rares. Here is a disabled link of the Wiki definition.

ht tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptozoology

7. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

cool, thats a nice least at least i wont sound like such an idiot telling the reader that he's talking to someone who knows nothing about that sort of thing.
    jim

8. Steak-Ums

Steak-Ums New Member

Hate to be the one to put it out there, as it seems a bit racist, but uh.,..

A Chinese old timer.

9. heyharris1

heyharris1 New Member

thats true also steak, thats why i posted the question, to see what other people think, got some great answer's

10. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue New Member

Cryptozoologists, archaelogists, biblical scholars (yes there are mentions of fire breathing dragons in the bible), and perhaps an ancient tome.

11. PaulChernoch

PaulChernoch New Member

If I wrote this story, I would have a fossil hunter find the last dinosaur fossil - the youngest fossil ever found. That fossil would have peculiar characteristics, which would involve physicists. They would discover a means of dimensional travel. The dinosaurs did not die out - they became so advanced that they could foresee the destruction of Earth, and used their powers to flee to another world. But now their new world is in danger, and they have decided to come back. To get it ready, they have built huge CO2 generators to pump green house gasses into our atmosphere to make the climate hot like when they used to live here before. (During the time of the dinosaurs the CO2 in our atmosphere was MUCH higher than it is today. It made the plants grow really big, too.)

- Paul