1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Bah humbug

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wordwizard, Sep 18, 2007.

I just reread through all my poetry pieces, and discovered they are not very good. I mean I do like some of them, but at the time when I was writing them I thought they were so much more clever. Has this happened to you? Maybe it just means I have grown as a writer? or maybe my taste in writing has changed. What do you all think?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It probably means you have sharpened your Reviewing Vision. However, some of it could be connected to your current midset being different than when you wrote them. If you are feeling at all down, that too can make you view your work more harshly.

So why not self-critique one of them and see if you can find specific improvements to make? I've certainly gone back to things I've written a while ago and found room (acres!) for improvement.

3. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

good idea. Thanks for the advice. I am not feeling down or anything, but I do know there is always room to make my writing better. I just found it wierd because I figured my writing was good, but hahaha I feel like an american idol contestant who cannot sing at all and thinks she can.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Nonsense. I've definitely enjoyed reading your work.

My mother is an amateur artist in a number of media. The more she looks at any of her completed projects, the more dissatisfied she becomes with it.

I believe it's inherent to the creative temperament.

5. debbiepanell

debbiepanell New Member

I very rarely write poetry, but when I have its been because I was depressed.

I burned most of them they were so bad! lol

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I've reread a lot of my earlier stories and have been disappointed. Its common and means your becoming more skilled as a writer.
    So don't be disappointed.

7. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yeah I do it all the time wordwizard. I haven't found one poem yet that I am 100% happy with at all. I think that all of my work is rather shabby once I re read over it some time later and always try to improve upon it.

It is just that we are getting better with our writing skills and over time you can think of something else that would fit better. I have been doing that with one poem for 12 months now almost.

8. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I think it's natural for artists to never really be satisfied with their work. I know I'm never happy with mine.

9. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

It's worse when it's been a few years since you have written it! I look back at my stuff and wince with embarressment! But I think it also means that you've grown as a writer.

10. Sayso

Sayso New Member

I often write something and let it rest for a couple of days before deciding if I really like it or not now. More often than not, I hate it and re-write it again.

11. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

It is just a matter of practice

we've all written truly terrible pieces of 'work' in our time

but it's the only way one can improve, so I encourage you to keep it up (writing that is, lewl)

My four main pieces of advice if you really want to grow as a writer are

1) Write alot and frequently (practice)
    2) Extend the amount and variety of texts you read
    3) Search for inspiration and help of others

Also, I believe everyone has a particular writing style, so by identifying what it is (what makes it up), it's easier to improve it.

12. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Looking back at some of my stories from only a year ago, it's embarrassing to see how bad they are. But then again, when I compare the standard of a year ago to my writing now, I can see a marked improvement (for which I'm blaming you lot). It's still not where I want it to be, but it's encouraging to see an improvement.

And for the record wordwizard, I really liked your poetry...

13. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Thank yee Banzai
    As I can see I am not the only one feeling this way, and I am greatful to have this forum so that I know I am not wasting my time, but rather growing as a writer. Appreciate the feedback :)