1. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Clothes, bag, poster

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DefinitelyMaybe, Oct 1, 2012.

What kind of clothes, bag (Gucci style bag maybe, but I don't want to mention a brand) would a modern teenage female consider cool? Whose poster might they have on their room's wall? The kind of person who would be appalled at a Justin Bieber poster? The kind of person who would consider themselves "alternative".

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Maybe she's one of Gaga's "little monsters"?

3. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

At present I'm using a Bullet for my Valentine poster. Heavy metal seems the right choice, but I wish I had an even more recent band.

For the dress I used a Stella McCartney dress. As it gives my MC an excuse to berate the author for being hopelessly out of touch and only knowing of Stella McCartney because he's a fan of Ms McCartney's father.

What expression of teenage disgust and disdain can I use for that thing where teenagers express exasperation with something a parent or authority figure does? I'm using "Arrrggghhhhh" at present, but am wondering if there is anything better?

4. shaylyn

shaylyn New Member

Circa Survive is pretty current and alternative, and as a person who just recently got out of her teenage years, I remember saying "Ugh" a lot to my parents ;)

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think your best bet is actually to get reading trendy magazine, pay more attention to adverts and what they're selling teens, and if you have no teenage friends, then go onto a forum where teenagers hang out and ask them. You're writing a typical teenager and to be honest, I'm under the impression that writers tend not to be the sort who'd be the "typical teen".

Are you writing a full blown short/novel on Claudia? I remember reading your piece on here.

6. Mariee

Mariee New Member

Well i'm an alternative teenager (bright red hair two lip piercings). No we don't all hate Justin Beiber, but we certainly don't enjoy his music. Maybe a skrillex poster or Dead Mau5 or Bring Me The Horizon poster. As for clothes I actually started dressing pretty girly my junior year, but I love Doc Martins (combat boots) skinny jeans are a must! Vans definitely. Almost anything from forever21 vintage collection. (You should look at their site almost every teenage girl friend of mine shops there!) If you are going an alternative teen girl piercings might be a nice addition. (nothing like a bull nose piercing but something like mine which are two diamonds on either side of my upper lip) And Mckk that's not true I have a few friends who are typical teens and are writers as well for a good feel of me just check out my avatar. (And trust me we get into all the typical teen stuff)

Edit: Oops forgot bag well I carry a "hobo" bag. Like this with a longer strap http://www.puchimaiko.com/catalog/images/bag_hobo_1a.jpg no alternative teens I know have gucci bags or anything of the sort o.o