1. AllWrite

AllWrite Member

Clustering

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AllWrite, Nov 21, 2011.

How many of you use the technique called clustering and does it help you in your writing?

2. Protar

Protar Active Member

Care to elaborate?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

never heard of any such thing... what the heck is it?

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

clsutering as in to put things into groups, under headings.
    here is an idea of clustering

There are many different pre-writing techniques. Some of the most common are listed below:
    Brainstorming (jotting down one idea after another)
    Freewriting (writing quickly about the general topic; the idea is to keep writing rather than focusing on correctness or sense). One method of freewriting that works well for the overly conscientious sort is to turn off your computer monitor so that you are unable to see your errors.
    Using a journal (keeping a journal as a source of ideas"
    Reading (without resorting to "theft," reading the ideas of others can often generate your own ideas)
    Outlining (listing and organizing your ideas; a technique that works best when some "pre-thinking" has already taken place
    Using prompts (sets of questions that help you think about your topic from different angles

and to answer it no I don't.
    I 'free flow' write.

5. Protar

Protar Active Member

How would that help with writing?

6. picklzzz

picklzzz Senior Member

It is also a technique suggested in many of my education classes. I teach a subject where I don't find it that helpful, but it is great for English, history or similar subjects. I teach in a more technical discipline, and it could be useful sometimes. Related techniques are using Venn diagrams and chunking (coming up with lists and arrows to show how they're related).

I like to think about an idea and then form a general - loose - outline that gives me the sequence. I then fill in details as I go. I cannot plan too much or I feel it stunts my creativity. However, but elaborate sequencing, I do find this important.

I am also working from a different perspective now. I am working more on character development, so I'm writing "resumes" of my characters and then trying to see how they are related. This I guess is a form of clustering. I try to imagine how each detail of each character is (or is not) important to the story and how one detail of one character may affect another. This is also similar to coming up with database relation schematics in computer programming, if anyone is familiar with that.

7. Phoenix001

Phoenix001 New Member

I keep it all in my head.

If I write things down, they just sound silly.

In my head they're awesome.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

What happens when you actually write the story then? :eek:

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am thinking it would help in terms of practice if you were teaching someone how to organise their thoughts to write a specific
    topic.
    I am guessing, I do not do that myself unless it is directed writing, an exam or something like that.