Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Cnn goes to most climate-skeptical place in the u.s.

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Aug 4, 2015.

This article is well done, and a lot more nuanced than you think it is going to be at the beginning. One of my favorite quotes relates to the mistakes people make when approaching disagreement and trying to persuade people to come around to their point of view:

If you want to read the whole article, it is here: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/opinions/sutter-climate-skeptics-woodward-oklahoma/index.html

2. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

Very nice article, in which the author didn't use the word 'denier' once. Max points for that. I may be like the author's grandmother, who doesn't think she's 'smart enough' to have an opinion on climate change. Any time 99%+ of scientists agree about something, it may be time to take a step back and take another look. The author also didn't use the phrase 'settled science', though he certainly implied it. There's no such thing.

It's an impossibly complicated question, and I'm not sure we're being well-served by the media on this subject. The ugliness of partisan politics being injected into the debate has to be considered, too.

I've always said that I'll pay more attention to climate change when the solution ends up being something other than taking money out of my pocket and putting it in the pockets of people like Al Gore and George Soros (and yes, the Koch brothers).

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I think it's was clear that the author believes that 99%+ of scientists are in agreement on climate change, and he agrees with their position. What he did, however, instead of lowering the whole debate to the level of ad hominem arguments, which is pretty much what you see these days, is he looked at the people he was talking to as people, in context, and thought about their lives, etc. He's not belittling them, and he's also recognizing that even where the story takes place the apparent monolithic viewpoint against anthropomorphic climate change is really not monolithic at all.

He didn't even really make fun of the stegosaurus with the girl on its back, and that is just begging to be made fun of. So, props to the author for not going down the usual path, and for not somehow "othering" the people who don't share his views (which is also pretty much all you see these days).

4. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributing Member Contributor

Climate change was not mentioned once in the GOP debates. I love living in this country. Magical realism incarnate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.