1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Codenames and Gun names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marcelo, Sep 1, 2008.

So, in my story there's an organization known as Vigilantes. The members of the organization don't use their names, but code names. Is there any code name generator or a way to come up with good-sounding code names? Also, what's the pattern followed to name guns? Like M4 Carbine, M16 Rifle, etc.

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Well, names for guns usually comes from the brand of maker, the type, and the variation. Its much like Planes.

For code names, just come up with something that has to do with the person's skills/style/etc; like someone who is a good marksman and vey skilled at sniping might be called "Sniper." (Yes, very generic, I know.)

3. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Guns are based by inventor/maker and caliber IE: Colt 45.

Code names can be anything you want them to be, but they will be simple for most people Red 1, Red 2, Red 3, Red Leader (You get the idea)

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Guns: That's not an easy question to answer. Honestly you could name any fictional weapons however you want as there are many variations for naming weapons:

Ak47 = Kalashnikov's automatic rifle model of year 1947
    HK36 = Heckler and Koch 4.6x36 mm rifle.
    M16 = Just a random letter and number assignment given to the weapon by the US military. The US army often codes its rifles with an M (M1, M14, M24, M60, XM8 -The X identifying the weapon as a prototype- etc).

Then we have nicknamed weapons:

Desert Eagle (Differing models of the weapon are identified by Mk)
    The Colt Single Action Army Handgun, better known as the legendary Colt Peacemaker
    M1918 is probably unfamiliar to many (It stands for Model 1918), but anyone who's played MoH or CoD knows it as the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle)
    And there's always the famous French FAMAS

It varies from one manufacturer or owner/contractor to the next so you can come up with anything you want far as reality is concerned.

For an overview of types of weapons if that will help you, you can look here: Firearms ~ Wikipedia. A little reading never hurt anyone eh :D.

Code names? Well use your imagination. I like to mix colors and animals myself (Gray Eagle and the like.). But again you can go about it anyway you like. Is there a theme to the character(s)? Maybe you could go off that.

5. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

For codenames, just use something that accurately describes their personality. For guns, the names are generally a combination of the caliber, producer, year produced, and possibly the purpose it is intended for. I use http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm as a reference. It includes info on everything from handguns to assault rifles to grenade launchers.

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Thanks for the Gun info, but I'm still having problems with code names. I want it them to be more like "The Joker", "The Warlord", etc. Or it can also be like "No. 17" or "No. 18". The organization is called Vigilantes, and is consisted by superhumans who hunt down renegade superhumans. It's a secret organization, so I don't know what type of code names to use.

7. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

So what are their superpowers and general personalities? That's usually a good place to start.

Aggressive, tough in a fight, and has claws? Wolverine!

Eye-based attacks and a set of single-view goggles? Cyclops!

Weather-based powers and prone to dramatic statements? Storm!

Chirpy young girl with flashy pyrotechnics? Jubilee!

8. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Ok. The first question you ask is.

Is the name issued to them or do they get to pick it.

If it is issued, it most likely will be bland, simple or very directly liked to their status.

If they get to choose, well having a cool name is an ego boost, so you can see where they would go.