1. Rayven

Rayven New Member

Cold feet

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rayven, Jul 20, 2010.

Hi there!

I have read a lot of threads about people with writers block. I just can't really relate to that. All day I get ideas for my writings and all, but everytime I sit in front of my laptop or paper I shut down. All my ideas are gone and I have a black-out like when making a test at school... It seems I got cold feet when it comes to writing. I just chicken out, which is strange because I love writing (when it does happen)

Does anyone here have the same problem? If so, what can I do about it? It is sooo frustrating! I know the story but can't seem to write it! Help!

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

Don't feel like you have to begin your writing (I mean, the actual story itself) the second you sit down. Instead, make a list of scenes you want to happen in the 1st chapter; make a character list; etc.

Having some stuff in the word doc will help you get away from the "Great Blank Word Doc Dilemma," which can easily give anyone cold feet.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Look around this forum. You'll find several threads discussing exactly this problem. With any luck you'll find help there; at the very least, you'll find what a lot of writers here have to say about it.

Good luck!

4. Garfiun

Garfiun Member

I find it easier to go into detail about plans and scenes before I actually start to write, so that I have got everything ready that I can refer to while writing.

5. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality Contributing Member

Coming up with ideas and living the scenes in your head is the fun part; actually sitting down and writing them out for someone else to experience is where the work begins. And you can fail at that work. Many would-be authors do. Easy to get discouraged, huh?

But try not to. Like other people have already said, just put something--anything--into that blank document so that it's not blank anymore. (Easy advice to give, not always easy advice to follow.) Try not to think about the end game when you're starting. Your first draft will most likely stink, but you don't have to show it to anyone, and by the time you're ready to, it'll be so much better. So relax and just try to write. Even if you only put in an hour today, or shoot for two more paragraphs, it's still better than nothing. You'd also be surprised how often starting with a small goal can lead you into a full, productive day at the keyboard. :)

We all know what you're going through. Take heart, and good luck!

6. Joules03

Joules03 Senior Member

I agree to just get words down on paper. My first drafts are almost embarrassing, but it gives me something to edit later, and shows one scene leading to the other. Don't put high expectations on that first draft or you'll never write anything!

7. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

You say you have ideas and most of the story worked out, but the moment you sit down its gone. Familiar, yes. Problem, not really.

By having those ideas you have the story, and really you don't have to sit down in front of a blank computer screen and try typing it out, you can sometimes scratch it out on paper, and you really don't have to start at the beginning of the story. I once wrote a story off the ending chapter, which was the first thing I thought up.

Basically, you can just write what you have, work off the scenes you have then like a puzzle, figure out where they'll go in the story. And you don't have to use a computer to do it. I find that writing it down on paper will help you figure out where all the scenes will go later on, because you can move the papers around and see where it works in the story. Yes it's choppy and unorganized at first, but in the end it could turn out to be a masterpiece.

8. cayce

cayce New Member

Our ideas, can come easily to us, when we are in our own wee world, the thought of sharing that wee world can be daunting, treat it like any other art form, relax and warm up, and then imagine a deadline, nothing quite like a deadline to get those words flowing.

9. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I usually write down a scene list and scenario list, and then that gives me motivation to write the actual story.

10. Videodrome

Videodrome Member

IMO plain white is very uninspiring to look at. It's like stepping into a creative vacuum and trying to fill it with nothing to start with.

I'd feel about the same walking into a plain white house trying to figure out how to what to do with it. I think I'd need to do the writing equivalent of throwing buckets of paint around which is basically total random rambling if that's what it takes to break up the plain boring white.