1. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Writing with the stars...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by losthawken, Oct 26, 2009.

I just had a crazy idea.

What if we had a 'contest' of sorts where novice writers are paired with veterans who help them critique and refine a story. The refined stories could then be posted together and voted on. I dunno if it would be too involved to be a formal contest like the 'weekly writing contest' or not.

A big part of being a good writer is learning how to take and integrate critical feedback. Another important skill is giving back and learning to mentor and critique well. They are as much writing skills as anything other I think.

Do you think we could organize something like this in the games forum? Any ideas on how to manage it?

~JG

2. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

How do you define veterans? Or novices?

3. losthawken

Honor system? Published or not?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

We have no elite hierarchy here of veterans vs novices.

What we do have is the Review Room critiquing workshop. Everyone learns to critique in detail there. They practice upon writing samples provided from those who have demonstrated that they understand what a constructive critique is and are committed to providing them.

If you want to work closely with another Review Room participant, no one is stopping you from doing so.

What I don't understand is how you can have posted more than sixty posts in the Review Room without understanding that what you are asking for is exactly what the Review Room workshop is for.

5. losthawken

60 Review Room posts! Really? If my math is right, and assuming that half of those were not actual critiques, that means I can post 4 more stories! I had better get crackin' ;)

The idea actually came while working more closely with another review room participant. But I can see your point and I think you are right.

I was just thinking that it rarely gets past a first critique in the Review Room. We seldom get to see how, or how well, someone took the advice given and produced a finished piece (myself included).

My thoughts were more along the lines of 'who can learn/teach' best. But I agree that setting up a hierarchy, even if unofficial, might not fit well with the atmosphere here. I think its easier to think of something naive like that when you consider yourself a novice. I didn't really think about what it would mean for some to promote themselves as 'veterans'...

It was a thought, I'll come up with a better one next time ;)

Thanks Cog,

~JG

6. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Wow - I must say I am really impressed ! Ive only been on this site a day, and reading all the posts has me inspired. So many blogs have people swearing and calling each other names, and wow its like I've just entered cyberheaven :) Good stuff.