1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Coffeehouses

Discussion in 'Research' started by BillyxRansom, Sep 8, 2010.

I need help on a few things regarding coffeehouses:

First, I realize I could Google this, and I will, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the names of some of your favorite spots, in case some of the ones you give me don't already show up on Google.

Second, what can I find inside a coffeehouse, in terms of what material is used, i.e. are there certain ethic standards that most coffeehouses champion in terms of design or any other things of that nature?

Third, what kinds of spaces in terms of real estate are optimal or common for where coffeehouses might be situated? The downtown area of a city? What goes into determining where to sit a newly constructed coffeehouse, so that it will stick around for possibly ages?

I don't know if I'm asking the right questions, so if there's anything else I should be thinking about, please feel free to say so here.

Thanks in advance!

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for here, but one thing that I like about the coffee places where I hang out is that most of them have chalk boards and just a little more...funky, I guess...feel than a lot of other food/drink places. As far as names go, one of my favorite places is called The Coffee Cup. It's a really small place in Boulder City, Nevada, and it's got a lot of small-town, eclectic charm. I dig it.

I really don't have much to offer in terms of prime coffee shop real estate, since I've only ever lived in big places, where there's pretty much a coffee place on every corner. Seriously, I live two and a half miles from work, and I pass four Starbucks on my way there. Four.

3. BillyxRansom

That's insane. I've seen a Starbucks within a Starbucks.

Yeah.

Anyway, you answered my questions pretty sufficiently; you gave me what I was looking for, and I appreciate it. A lot.

Thanks again!

-Billy

4. Manofkent

Manofkent New Member

The Bean Shop,
    Grinders
    Hot Stop.
    Pumpkin
    Costa
    Coffee Go Go

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A place I used to enjoy was the Old Vienna Kaffeehaus in Westborough, Massachusetts. It has been closed now for several years, but it was open most evenings. They had a German restaurant on the ground floor, but the Kaffeehaus was the upstairs room. They brought in folk artists, jazz bands, and soft rock bands, some local, some widely known. Loudon Wainwright, Livingston Taylor (James Taylor's brother), Carly Simon, The New Black Eagles Jazz Band, and many others would show up in this cozy little suburban club.

6. BillyxRansom

That's pretty amazing. Thanks a lot Cog.