1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Come with me if you want to live...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cogito, Jan 13, 2008.

Here in the States, at least, The Sarah Connor Chronicles debuts the next two evenings (Sunday and Monday) on the Fox network.

I'm keeping my expectations in check, but I'm hoping they do it justice. As far as I can tell, it is set shortly after the close of T2, so the events of the much-maligned T3 may or may not take place. After all, the series could rewrite its own future and avert the events of T3 entirely - ain't temporal mechanics wonderful?

I'm curious to see where they place this show on the continuum between action series and science fiction,

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I too am hopeful. Sadely my expierience tells me the only times a movie has ever become a good TV series are Star Gate and Blade.

I probably watch and enjoy it anyway though.

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Hmm, when it comes to shows I don't watch any of them except anime. Yet this one captures my interest. I'll have to catch the first episode and see if its any good.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    If the writers break the canon, I'll lose all respect for them. That said, Summer Glau is
    Hot
    Was Incredible in Firefly/Serenity

5. Cogito

Oh, I must disagree, Blade and Stargate are shining examples, but so are M*A*S*H, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Highlander.

Movies focus on an epic crisis, and put much of their budget into big visual effects and a closed plotline. TV has the advantage of time for character development and can incorporate complex, long term story arcs.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I was unaware Buffy started as a movie and became a series. That'll change my opinion fast.

I was never a fan of M*A*S*H or the entire Highlander franchise though.

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Don't let it. The movie sucked and had a different lead.

8. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

True, but sometimes the quality of the actors and production lowers the 'enjoyment factor' for an audience, so not all TV shows are destined for success if they follow this process.

M*A*S*H is a generation thing. If you lived through when it first aired, you'll probably love it. Others don't seem to find the humour or warmth about the characters.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I think that's why I never liked it.

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

While I agree that TV focuses on character development, movies don't focus entirely on special effects. I've seen dozens of movies that allow for better characterization then certain shows. But, no movie I've seen has had characters I cared for more then in the show Trigun. So to an extent, you're right, but I personally would rather watch a 2-hour movie and have it short, sweet, and to the point than consistently have to watch a show to get more of the story.

11. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

'In the Bedroom' is a prime example.

12. Raven

Raven Banned

Well the trailers certainly look good. We get it on virgin a week after you yanks get to watch it.

I have reservations but I'm keen to see how they handle the story and then over the series let it mature and grow.

I also hear they are doing another Terminator Trilogy for the big screen just not 10 years apart between movies.

13. Cogito

My point is not that character development is intrinsically superior in television over movies. My point is that the television format holds a greater oppoerunity to develop characters over time, whereas the advantage of movies is that the budget - and the big screen presentation - allows more spectacle.

Stargate is a very good example. The movie was very successful, and made excellent use of grand visuals and a spectacular confrontation with a single, powerful, malevoent creature. The TV series shifted the premise by allowing the gate to be a part owf a wider transport system, and by toning down the character crises to permit a more leisurely character development. They also broadened the single enemy to a loose association of Go'auld system lords.

They didn't try to crowbar the movie into a series format without changes. The beauty of it was that they were able to accomplish it with smaller changes without losing the feel of the original movie premise.

Another one I enjoyed was Logan's Run. The movie was good, but it was a closed story. The TV series began the same, but focused more on the remnants of the old society, and the new pocket societies that filled the vacuum after civilization collapsed. It was not a very successful TV series, but I thought it was in many ways better than the movie.

14. Cogito

So, I watched part 1 of the pilot last night. Too early to form much of an opinion yet, except that it didn't immediately tank.

Today we had a major snowstorm, and the cable was out for a couple hours first thing in the morning. I breathed a sigh of relief when it was restored a couple hours later. Then it went out again around noon, and finally was restored in the late afternoon. I had been worried it wouldn't be back on in time.

So at 9 PM, Iswitched to Fox and begain watching. part 2.

At 9:02, the cable went out the third time.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Nobody is ever safe.

15. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Ouch, bad luck Cog.