1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Bill Gates is Poor?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Jan 14, 2008.

Ok not really but apparently Carlos Slim Helu has surpassed Bill Gates to move from the 3rd Richest Man in the world to Numero Uno.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmmm. I'm a bit uncomfortable with how this was expressed, to be honest.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

One of my sad attempts at more energetic presentation. I'll change it if you want me too. I Was just surprised because Bill Gates has been at the top of that list for like... well... a long time (As long as I've been keeping up with it) and my friend just told me he's not numebr one anymore. I was surprised.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It was the ethnic tone that made me squirm a bit. I wouldn't go so far as to call it offensive, but it did seem a little off the level to me.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Lol, its because everyone's realizing Macintosh is waaaaay better and not bringing in as much money for Microsoft.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Hmm yes. Sadly my skills at dealing with ethnic hot buttons are low. I figured I'd change it anyway just in case.

I Figured I put up the Current top ten lsit if anyone is Interested ($ In Billions). I have also listed country of origin and the businesses they own/workfor/are involved with

1. Carlos Slim Helu (Mexico), $68 (Owner of Various Telecommunications)
    2. Bill Gates (USA), $56 (Microsoft)
    3. Warren Buffet (USA), $52 (Investments)
    4. Ingvar Kamprad (Sweden), $33 (IKEA, IKANO, and Real Estate)
    5. Lakshmi Mittal (India), $32 (Arcelor Mittal)
    6. Sheldon Adelson (USA), $26.5 (Las Vagas Sands)
    7. Bernard Arnault (France), $26 (LVMH)
    8. Amacio Ortega (Spain), $24 (Real Estate, Indetix Group)
    9. Li Ka-Shing (Hong Kong), $23 (Cheung Kong Holdings)
    10. David Thompson (Canada), $22 (Thompson Corperation)

The list I got goes all the way to 100 (There are 101 but the last two are tied) but I'm not listing 101 rich people. Sufice to say, between them, the top 100 are worth 3.5 Trillion US Dollars.

EDIT: My mom said the Queen of England actually has the most money in the world but that she can't use it because most of the money is in valuables and art that she holds in confidence for the people of the UK. Does anyone know this? I haven't been able to learn anything about it.

7. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Actually the only reason Bill Gates isn't the richest is because he stopped taking in profits from Microsoft. His job nowadays is sorting out what charities he sends his extra income to.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

must be nice.

9. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

I am sure the richest monarchy isn't the British one - I remember reading that somewhere, but don't remember which one is... The thing with, say Buckingham Palace is I don't think the Queen actually owns that, wouldn't it be classed as public property, since we pay through taxes etc for it to be maintained?

Also it's the British monarchy, not English.

10. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Apparently- the Queen was in debt but not sure how true that is. Most of the rich people seem to be in investments- but what happens when one investment or two even go PHHT! out the window? Then their stocks go down.....

I think I'm rich 'cause I have a fantastic guy that loves me. I'd hate to be a billionaire- ok, i'd Like the money!- but think about it, pretty much always competing in the social scene, etc,etc.

I dunno what I'm talking about. I'm just rich in love, friends, and family. And I live in a nice house so I can't complain!

But on bill gates? (topic!:D :D) meh- I think he's great that he's actually giving away his money to charities, now that's something I like.