1. destinationless

destinationless New Member

Word of the Day

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by destinationless, Sep 24, 2008.

I did a quick search and found that we used to have a Word of the Day page, but it hasnt been active for over a year.

I used to habitually follow a Word of the Day page on another forum (that I have since abandoned; there wasnt much activity on that forum like there is here :) ) and made a point to use it in a piece of writing -whether a longer story I'd been working on, a poem, article, essay, as well as vocally in my everyday life. My vocabulary improved tenfold.

If there is no serious reason as to why the page was closed, I was wondering if perhaps it could be reactivated, or started again from scratch?

I would offer my services to manually find a new word every day; or the task could be transferred from one member to another on a volunteer basis, weekly or so, in order to gather community interest (it looks like that was the reason the original page was closed). -Although I can see the latter getting very messy, very quickly... :p

My system would be to work alphabetically; A for Day 1, B for Day 2, C for Day 3 and so forth, continuing in a cyclical nature.

Please let me know what you think; a function like this has the potential to improve writing, comprehension, and general knowledge, which are the core reasons we are all here, right? :)

-D

1 person likes this.
  2. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

I really like this idea. This may be staff-run, or it could be independently done, maybe via the lounge?

The only question I have is:
    Where would it go?
    Word games, lounge?

I do like this idea. I'd be willing to help run it as well.

3. destinationless

I would assume the best location would be under the General Writing forum; it's an active forum (from what I have seen in my first few days here, at least) and seems like an appropriate place to go. -I dont think that'd be my call to make anyways, but... :)

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The old word of the day feature was abandoned due to lack of interest, really. If you are seriously interested in restarting it, I don't see a problem with it myself.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I ran the Word of the Day for the two months it was active, but it really was a pain to keep up with, given the limited interest, so I gave it up.

I don't think much of the alphabetic rotation. It's hard enough just finding words that may be worth consireing for writing, which is the focus I strove for.

The thread is not closed, so all you would need to do is to start adding a daily word. I would ask that you try to retain the format, especially citing where you got your definitions from. And please do not use other Word of the Day lists to get your word from - that would be a form of plagiarism.

6. destinationless

Alright, well, with Cogito's and the Grand Emperor of the Earth's :)D) blessings, I do think that I will ressurect it and put up a new word, sticking to the original format, tonight.

Tarnished (and anybody else, for that matter): If you'd like to take part in the maintenance of it with me, just let me know via PM, and we can trade up weekly, biweeky, etc...

-D

7. Raven

Raven Banned

Well We'll give it four weeks if it fails then we'll call it.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No need, actually. If it loses momentum, it will merely slip into obscurity again on its own, without any further action required.