1. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

Twists in novels

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by carsun1000, Jun 21, 2011.

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if writers on here are fans of twists in their plots to help make the story more interesting. For me, they are perfect. One they help you hone your creative mind, two they actually make the story interesting without losing your original stroyline and three believe it or not, they help with your word counts! Life itself is full of twists so why not tranfer them in our works! Your views?

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I happen to like using twists. I guess they come naturally if it feels right for the piece I'm writing. I'm not going to go throw twists around everywhere or use them in every storyline. Certainly there are going to be plot elements that a reader won't see coming, but yes, a twist is good every now and then.

I'd like to say, though, that while you're right in saying that they do help hone your creativity, they do not necessarily a) make your story interesting or b) keep to your original plot.

The first matter is subjective, dependent on whether it's actually a good, interesting twist (with an interesting plot to boot), and the second matter depends on what your original plot even was. If you have to change your original plot to add in a twist, you're not keeping to it, are you?

And why would it even matter if it helps your word count or not? Who cares?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are stories that call for 'twists' and stories that don't... so don't just toss them into every story, whether needed, or not...

4. Leon Orwik

Leon Orwik New Member

Websters Dictionary definition of a chapter:
    1 : one of the main sections of a book

That being said, the chapter size is irrelevant. A chapter is not an indication of length, but a division of the story. The book that helped me out with this the most was Moby Dick. There are some chapters that just keep going on and on and seem endless, but then it turns around and one of the chapters is only 3 sentences long.

So as long as your chapters are separating different sections of the book and not merely divided up by length or word count, I think you should be fine.

5. Leon Orwik

Leon Orwik New Member

whoops, posted to wrong thread, sorry

6. twists can make a story interesting. that's no secret. I personally think it can be overdone easily. once your reader realizes you have a lot of twists, they may start to question everything you show them. makes the narrator kinda unreliable in the end. my answer? do it, but don't over do it.

7. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I prefer twists in a tv show than to a book. If they are in a book I prefer to see them used in a thriller. In a fantasy or sci-fi it just seems out of place.

8. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I like to drop the subtlest hints about a critical point later in the story, so that the twist does not seem artificial and like I just threw it in for filler.

9. Gholin

Gholin Member

So, I'm writing a novel that doesn't seem to have a big twist in it. Sure stuff is hidden until later, but it's not like a twist like you see in a lot of books. Does the absence of twists mean a story is pretty tame or linear?

10. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

NO!
    As Mamma said,

11. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Thank you!

12. e(g)

e(g) New Member

Twists, in my opinion, are cheap devices used in fiction. I much prefer a story that builds up the suspense, has characters I'm interested in, resolves the conflict and ends in a believable way. I've always thought of twists as an entertainment device best suited to short stories.

That's my take on it anyway.

13. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Twists don't always just finish the story and it's over. Sometimes you may think it's the end, but all of a sudden there's a major plot twist that changes things completely, and a whole different conflict erupts. I think twists are a very nice device, but only if used properly. Whether it's a big or small twist, it all depends on how you use it. :p

Bottom line for me, twists can be good and bad. Also, as other people have said "Not every story has to have a twist".

14. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Yes, Plot Twists are very helpful. It makes the reader wanting more depending on what the Twist is. I have quite a few plot twists for my fantasy novel, which is not a LOTR rip-off.

15. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I always try to incorporate a twist when I'm outlining a plot. Most of my stuff is suspense-based so a twist is always on the cards. But if I can't insert one naturally into the story then I don't. A good twist at the end is a great reward for the reader, and equally as rewarding to write. I love knitting the clues together to lay on the big reveal.

16. Wolfo

Wolfo New Member

I like stories that offer up twists on a regular basis. Or rather stories that reveal crucial points at a leisurely pace instead of dumping something huge on you all at once.