1. Loudwolf442

Loudwolf442 New Member

Coming of age story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Loudwolf442, Aug 3, 2013.

I apologize if this is dumb question, but how should I write a coming of age story? What can I focus on or how should I start it?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

That's too vague a question to have a meaningful answer. There is no 'best' way to write one. There are as many different good ways of doing it as there are good authors to write one.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Brilliantly.

4. Loudwolf442

Loudwolf442 New Member

Could you tell everything you know about coming of ago stories? I just want to write a something meaningful.

5. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 Contributing Member

Just read coming of age short stories, novels,or memoirs.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You may want to start by looking up the term "Bildungsroman."

7. beltnoire

beltnoire Member

It is a really vague question, but having an interesting character or a protagonist that readers can feel invested in would be a really good start. What's also important, especially for the type of story you're interested in, is that there has to be room for your character to grow or change. As mentioned above, do a search on the term Bildungsroman and have fun.

8. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

If you read enough coming of age stories written by others, you'll come up with an answer to your question without even realising it. Pick up a few books with a similar topic, and read them. Don't 'study' them, just watch. When you write your own, you'll have a much clearer idea of how to do it than you do now.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, to learn what you need to know about writing one, all you have to do is read/study the best examples of that genre...

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It sounds like the OP is looking for a recipe: "Take one semi-ripe teenager; marinate in teen crisis; add 1/4 cup of angst and a teaspoon of parental indifference..."

It doesn't work that way. For one thing, anything written in such a way would be the textbook definition of formula writing. "Scientific workability" might have been Julia Child's motto, but not William Shakespeare's.

For another, the mere fact that one asks such a basic general question means that one has not actually conceptualized what story one wants to tell, and that really has to come first. So, I will echo the excellent advice of [MENTION=52325]blackstar21595[/MENTION], [MENTION=10315]Gallowglass[/MENTION] and [MENTION=373]mammamaia[/MENTION] - go, thou, and read.

And may The Force be with you.

11. Kelson

Kelson Member

Hello Loudwolf,

This is going to sound all new agey and stuff but I can tell you precisely how to start, write it. If a coming of age story is in you and you write often enough it will come out. Drop out of the forum this moment and just start writing without thinking about it.

That's exactly what I do nearly every day. Want to see if it is working for me? Web search "Touch" by Kelson Hargis. My coming of age story will be among the top returns. It's free and around 1000 words or so. Then click my image on the site if you'd like to know more about me.

By the way I love to review as well so if there is anything out there PM me. I'll look for your stuff on here now.

Best of luck,

~Kelson

12. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I agree with the suggestions of reading the works of this type you find to be best and thinking about how the author approached the work and why you think the approach was effective.

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

The question seems a little backwards to me. I can more easily imagine an author saying, "OK, so there's this kid, and he wants to blah and his friends blah and his parents blah... Oh, I guess it's sort of a coming of age story. OK, anyway, he has this issue at school..."

In other words, I think that the story concept should come before its assigned category.