Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Commander in Chief forum

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Sep 8, 2016.

Anyone else watch this?

I'm not fan of Clinton, but unlike those who are little more than partisans on either side of the aisle, I try to take an honest approach to elections. I thought Lauer did a horrible job and was much hard on Clinton than on Trump, who basically got a pass. Lauer went into issues that I think were outside the scope of what the forum was meant to be, he interrupted Clinton, he came back at her answers quite a bit (which is fine, in and of itself, if you apply the same tactic to everyone). Trump just rambled his same low-substance answers and Lauer didn't seem to push back on him at all.

Is that the way everyone else saw it?

2. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributing Member Contributor

I saw a few clips. One thing I've noticed is that journalists rarely push Trump on specifics. It's gotten better lately, but it shouldn't be happening at all.

3. Steerpike

Post debate, first poll I've seen is the LA Times/USC daybreak poll, which has Trump up 3 points. He lost 0.1 points from yesterday. The question this raises is how, after such a miserable debate performance, you lose only 0.1 points in a national poll.

4. X Equestris

I don't think most of those who've decided they're voting for Trump will change their minds, no matter what happens.

Steerpike likes this.
  5. Steerpike

True. I spoke with one Trump supporter who agrees that Trump lost, but says he likes that Trump isn't a politician and wouldn't expect him to win a debate against a career politician. So there it is.

123456789 likes this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

So anyone watch the debates last night between Trump and Clinton? From the few bits and pieces I've heard, they argued over the tax returns/email the other is hiding and Hillary's health. Clinton ragged on Trump about his six bankruptcies and his economic plain whereas he lambasted her with NAFTA and TTP.

7. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

I actually don't remember any mention of Hillary's health in the debate - although I did step out for a out five minutes.

That debate was INCREDIBLY pointless. Nothing if importance was discussed, and these two jackasses didn't provide me with any entertainment.

8. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

You sold out. I didn't watch the debate. It's an insult to our intelligence.

9. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Hey man I just wanted to watch these two roast each other, which didn't happen!

10. Raven484

Raven484 Contributing Member

I never thought Clinton should ever have been on the ballot in the first place. But after watching the debate, Trump bought up a good point on her bashing campaign of him. She has spent over 100 million dollars on these sleeze adds against him. Does he deserve it, yeah probably. But how can you say that she is more presidential then he is. She is doing the same thing he is, only hers cost money. Trump bashes you for free.
    100 million dollars? And we are suppose to trust her with the economy?
    They are both thieves in my book. But Clinton should be embarrassed and fire all of her campaign people. 100 million dollars to here Trump call someone fat? So what, everyone knew this beforehand. She is worse then he is, and anyone who believes she will be a good president is in for a major shock if she gets elected.

11. Steerpike

Ads are one thing, but you could watch the debate and see that she's more Presidential than he is, and more qualified. I mean, it's not even a close call. But she's also a dishonest, big-finance, neocon, so being more Presidential and more qualified than the barn fire that is Trump isn't sufficient to get my vote.

12. Raven484

I am more presidential then he is. But I would not have spent a dime on him. She just showed how dumb she really is. Just the fact that Trump is within 5 points of her shows how she just isn't going to cut it. Bernie is probably laughing his ass off right now. How the hell did these two clowns become one step from being the most powerful person in the world? I am not an Obama fan, I think he is a good man, kind of the Jackie Robinson of presidents, but he is like Einstein compared to these two. They are making Bush seem like an OK guy everyday.

13. Steerpike

Bernie would be clobbering him, most likely. We got to this point, well - we've got GOP voters on one side who will take almost anything over what they've had the last dozen years or so, and on the other side we've got aging establishment Democrats who if they ever had principles have long since abandoned them and wanted an easy coronation for someone from their generation, no need to inquire into substance.

As the younger generation moves up and more come behind them, we'll likely be better off.

14. Steerpike

Trump says the "shackles" are off now. Guy is a complete buffoon.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If I'm not mistaken, there are some news articles abound saying how he'd like to grab women by their crotch. WTF, America... THIS is the only second choice we've got when deciding who gets to run our country?

God help us all...

16. Steerpike

Most Americans continue to be dismayed that these two are the best the country has to offer. However, one of these two is markedly worse than the other.

matwoolf likes this.
  17. X Equestris

You hadn't heard? I thought the airwaves were saturated by that story all weekend.

Oh, and it's far worse than just perving on some women. Let me track down the actual video.

Edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-recorded-having-extremely-lewd-conversation-about-women-in-2005/2016/10/07/3b9ce776-8cb4-11e6-bf8a-3d26847eeed4_story.html

This from the nominee of the party which positions itself from as a defender of traditional values. A number of prominent Republicans are saying they won't vote for Trump, but the party leadership is still behind him. And more disturbingly, the overwhelming majority of Trump supporters aren't even fazed. They repeat his campaigns talking points and use whataboutism to try to equivocate him and Bill Clinton.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Link the Writer likes this.
  18. Steerpike

Bill Clinton's actions aren't even relevant to the present campaign. The only way those events can be relevant now is if Hillary attacked, threatened, or otherwise went after those women as some have alleged. I haven't seen much evidence to back that up thus far.

19. X Equestris

Exactly. Good luck trying to explain that to the diehards. They don't seem to understand that. Or if they do, they don't want to admit it.

20. 123456789

Sorry, I don't think what Trump said was that bad. It's called locker room talk. Don't take that away from us.

21. X Equestris

Nobody in any locker room I've ever been in has talked about being unable to control themselves around beautiful women, groping their genitals with dubious consent at best, and being able to get away with it because they're a star. I can't recall anybody talking about trying to seduce a married woman (and cheating on their pregnant wife at the same time), either, but that's a little lesser than the first issue.

Edit: of course, there is the possibility that Trump tried to get the aforementioned married woman, Nancy O'Dell, fired for spurning his advances. There's a Washington Post article on this subject.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  22. 123456789

Don't take it literally. Locker room refers to context, not location, content, or tone. What he means is that it was a private conversation between two men, regarding women, and it was done so in a vulgar and bragging manner.* Many men do this. Of course, you can try to interpret what he is saying however you'd like- after all, it is Donald Trump.

Moreover, I find it very unlikely that most people have not at some point in their lives said something in private, that if played to the public, would become regrettable.

Sort of like when a guy says "I'm gonna kick the shit out of him." That doesn't mean he means it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  23. X Equestris

If it stood on its own, I might accept the idea it was just empty talk. But in the context of his more recent comments about women, and the number of women who've made allegations of inappropriate conduct by him, it looks like part of a pattern of behavior that continues to this day.

Thing is, most people aren't running for president. I certainly wouldn't want most people in that office. And most people tend to be a little more sincere and contrite than Donald has acted (after all, his immediate response to the tape was "Bill Clinton told me worse on the golf course", and half of his official apology was an attack on the Clintons) about stupid pasts statements.

123456789 likes this.
  24. Raven484

Just want to put in a non-serious thought to think about.

JFK = womanizer, had affair with M. Monroe.
    Clinton = big time problem with women.

Both considered very good presidents in their time.

Trump = yet to be seen.

I am not voting for Trump and I am not for his actions, I just think it could be a funny comparison.

25. Raven484

Sorry guys, just trying to find a little humor in the biggest disaster in American history. We need to laugh or we will all be crying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.