1. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Common things that are intentionally wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King Arthur, Mar 22, 2016.

I've noticed this a lot. To anyone who knows about what's being shown, they know it's wrong. A few examples:

-People who cut their wrists in film. They cut the wrong way. I assume this is to avoid teaching people how to do it correctly?
    -Swords make schwing sounds when being drawn. In real life, they don't make any sound at all (you'd only hear some wind as the sword goes through the air.).
    -Fur cloaks. They were almost exclusively worn with the fur inwards and the animal's skin outwards, yet are always portrayed the wrong way round.

This is movie specific, but the layout of the defenses in the D-Day Sequence of Saving Private Ryan is all wrong, and they even put the boat-stoppers the wrong way round. I don't see how they could have made this blunder unintentionally...

Do you have any specific or general examples of stuff like this?

Oscar Leigh, Lifeline and jannert like this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

In every cheap martial arts movie, every blow sounds like a couple of two by fours being slapped together. Even a fist to the abdomen or a knee to the groin. The foley artists aren't even trying.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

In ED scenes they have staff wearing goggles without mouth and nose covers. What's the point? It's not sharp objects flying around you are worried about, it's drops of blood and other body fluids.

In the TV show, House, the medical students do the nursing tasks.

People who get knocked out wake up with zero evidence of a head injury. It doesn't work that way. Also people get the crap beat out of them and walk away, but with the beating shown, it would have been fatal in real life.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Curious about the fur thing. Are you sure about that? Seems to me that if the fur was inside it might feel nice, but it would get flattened under the weight of the leather on top and lose its insulating power. People who wear fur in modern times (I don't mean Hollywood stars!) usually wear it with the fur side out. When did this change?

I just googled 'inuit fur' and got a whole load of pictures ...all wearing the fur side outside.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Ha! :-D Yeah, I always notice this one. The person carrying the sword merely needs to move it and it makes this kick-ass zhing sound. Yeah, sorry. No sound at all unless you swing with some force, and then only a faint swoosh sound.

I've got a couple.

- Hollywood seems to believe that the ancient world - especially the areas of biblical stories - was populated by Brits?

- Portrayal of military personnel is always wrong. Actors in their mid-30's are cast as privates and PFC's. NO! A private is in his/her late teens, early 20's at the most. The film ALIENS did this error to the hilt. Everyone in that squad was at least a decade too old for their ranks and an elite squad is not made up of privates and PFC's no matter their age. And if you are a 35 year-old private, you're not in any elite anything; you're being reviewed for removal from duty because you keep failing to pass for promotion. Even the Lt. was WAY too old to be an Lt.

Oscar Leigh and KokoN like this.
  6. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

No idea, though in several Anglo-Saxon, Norse and later Norse (14th century Iceland) texts the cloaks are mentioned as being worn fur-inwards. I'm not sure why! They also made caps with the fur worn inwards, pouches with the fur on the inside, and lined their scabbards with fur on the inside.

I'd have to double-check but I believe the inuits also wear the fur inwards as it provides more warmth.

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

I just googled 'inuit fur' and there are lots of pictures of traditional Inuit people ...all wearing fur on the outside. Just wondered how typical that is.

Interesting. It would certainly be something a person should research if they're going to write about it. Unless they want their warriors to be running around dressed like Marilyn Monroe. :)

8. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

I'll die happy the day a media portrayal of a Roman soldier has an italian accent. It's not even "more accurate", it's what the Romans sounded like! They're Italian!

I haven't really noticed the military personnel issue, though I think you're right.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  9. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Apparently both are worn, often at the same time (so basically one fur coat inwards and one outwards). Quite confusing.

10. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Go tell HBO... https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/57/6b/0d/576b0d10764d4212e594ee1a4de13460.jpg

11. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Which reminds me. A few more historical ones:

-People weren't dirty except for slaves. Ever.
    -Every man (and often women) before the 1940's would probably own and regularily wear a hat. In hot regions to protect from the sun, in cold regions to warm their heads, and in temperate climates for both depending on the seasons. They are often totally absent in media portrayals of history.
    -People's wardrobes were often more than just brown and black. Medieval films/series are always colourless. Also, I found it really funny in The Last Kingdom when the Vikings invade all wearing blue, since Vikings thought blue was a bit of a "gay colour" (like how a man wearing pink now would stereotypically be considered effeminate and weak).
    -(Camp)fires were hard to light. People almost never lit fires, they mostly kept them going permanently, and if they ever travelled/moved they put the braises in a pot to avoid lighting a new one.
    -Shields ALWAYS face the enemy. They aren't counterweights, and you should never have it anywhere other than facing your enemy.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. minstrel

Unless you're Captain America. :p

13. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Well, actually...

14. jannert

Me? I can't stand Westerns where the 'cowboys' wear shirts that button all the way down to below the belt, like modern shirts. That's NOT what they wore in the mid to late 1800s.

Here's a real cowboy:
    cowboy crop.jpg

...and here's John Wayne ...urgh....
    john wayne.jpg

Oscar Leigh and GingerCoffee like this.
  15. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Many of the wrong things in books and movies can be blamed on lack of research. People didn't always have Google to quickly double check a fact as they wrote their scenes. Writers who could afford it hired researches and fact checkers to make sure things were proper. Just think how many things you'd end up guessing on if every time something came up you weren't sure of you needed to go to a library to find out your answer. I'm constantly Googling little facts to make sure things make sense.

Oscar Leigh, KokoN and jannert like this.
  16. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Even more so with historical fiction.

17. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

The sound is made when the blade passes across the metal on the lip of the sheath. Of course, in movies/shows it's always a much, much louder metal-scrape-metal sound that is completely unrealistic, but if your sheath has a metal lip and the blade scrapes past it as you draw (which it's always going to), there's going to be an audible noise.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  18. GingerCoffee

John Tyman's - INUIT ~ People of the Arctic - Unit III: INUIT: CLOTHING AND SHELTER
    Not that I have a clue what is traditionally worn where or when, but the reason for facing the fur in is because trapped air between the hide and the skin acts as an insulator. In addition, the hide is going to be more water repellant while the fur side might soak water up but I suspect that is species dependent.

jannert and Lifeline like this.
  19. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Grrr, this one drives me crazy!!

To add my own: virgin girls enjoying the first time they have sex. Man.... That shit hurts! It's not all butterflies and rainbows. First time penetration comes with lots of nerves, tensing, and possibly some blood.

20. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Mmm... Sweet delicious blood :pop:

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  21. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

I've never been a virgin girl (sadly?), but I've had two before (sexually, I mean. Not like I ate them or something.) and it certainly didn't hurt for them. Granted there was a lot of foreplay involved but in one case, not even the hymen was damaged and there wasn't even any blood, and this was from a girl who never even penetrated herself with a finger before.

AND I SWEAR IT'S NOT BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL PENIS OR SOMETHING.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    jannert, GingerCoffee and Lea`Brooks like this.
  22. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Senior Member

I didn't like Star wars when I was a kid because I didn't understand why there were sound effects in space. There's no sound in space. It really bugged me to the point where I refused to watch the rest of the movie. But when I got a little older I learned to suspend some disbelief and watched the movies again. Now I can only complain about how terrible episodes 1 through 3 are. Anyway that's a common one in movies, sound in space and in the same boat explosions some distance away causing having sound reach the camera at the same time as the light.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  23. GingerCoffee

I agree with @TheRealStegblob, it's not painful for everyone, speaking from experience. It was a little difficult but not painful in my case.

24. GingerCoffee

No sound in space, and another thing, the asteroid belt is sparse. If it were really as dense as every single movie and even science programs depict it as, it would look like a ring to us.

25. minstrel

One thing about Star Wars that really bugged me (this isn't a common thing; it's just a Star Wars thing) is that C-3PO could speak something like 50,000 languages and R2D2 couldn't speak any - just beeps. You'd think they would have taken the same kind of chip C-3PO has and stuck it into R2D2. Then there wouldn't be a need to C-3PO, which would be good because he wasn't exactly the most effective droid in an action situation.

/threadjack

jannert and GingerCoffee like this.